HTLA Antibodies

Can someone help me out here please I am right in saying this term HTLA is falling out of fashion ? Is there is a new term for these annoying antibodies? I can't seem to find any reference to the current terminology unless I'm not looking hard enough I know the 16th edition of the AABB manual does not quote HTLA in its index

As far as I know HTLA is a term you stil can use. It is the smal group of (as you say) annoying antibodies that couse no problems in transfusion.

I do not like the sometimes used conclusion "tha patient has HTLA antibodies", you can only say that HTLA when you have determind the specificity, otherwhise you can not conclude they give no problem in transfusion.

So you use the term but not as an conclusion.

Peter

We aren't supposed to call them HTLA antibodies either Linda, but we haven't been told what we are supposed to call them!

If you send one in to us, we'll do our best to identify a specificity, but if we can't.............then we'll tell you that it is a probable HTLA of unknown specificity, and I'll take the wrap on the knuckles from my own Line Manager!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 2 months later...

Where I work we use the following terminology: "probable Knops System antibody" or you can use the following mouthful "Antibody to an antigen in the system fomerly known as HTLA". If it's possible to narrow it down based on the cells/antisera we have available we'll call it anti-Kna, anti-Sla, etc.

Where I work we use the following terminology: "probable Knops System antibody" or you can use the following mouthful "Antibody to an antigen in the system fomerly known as HTLA". If it's possible to narrow it down based on the cells/antisera we have available we'll call it anti-Kna, anti-Sla, etc.

Knops is a system but HTLA is not. Don't forget the JMH and Csa