Discrepant Blood Groups - SOP

I am currently writing a new SOP for the investigation of discrepant blood groups - the lab I have taken over doesn't have anything written down. I've noticed that there are many threads on here about discrepant blood groups and I'm wondering if anyone has an SOP for the investigation procedure that they would be happy to share?

Did you know that there are many procedures, forms, and other resources in the "Library" section on the top toolbar here? Click on "Library", then select "Blood Bank Talk Library", then select "Education", then scroll down and you will see that Malcolm submitted a document regarding "Problems with ABO Grouping". I think that will be very helpful to you.

For our Procedure Manual, we have a procedure titled "ABO Discrepancies" and I have listed all the possible causes of ABO Discrepancies. Then there is an individual procedure for each of the likely causes. (For a couple of the rare, unlikely causes of discrepancies, the procedure simply gives a brief explanation, refers the tech to a reference manual and instructions to consult the Blood Bank Supervisor.)

Donna

Thatnks Donna - I did have a look in the library but didn't think to look under education. Off to have a look now. I have made a start on the SOP already and have decided not to make it fully comprehensive - all the unusual ones are to be referred to a senior member of staff and O Neg issued until it's resolved.

Thanks again

• 5 weeks later...

Thank you for sharing this procedure! It is extremely thorough.

If you suspect a discrepancy due to polyagglutination by a T antigen, would you send the specimen out for a full lectin panel, including Salvia sclarea, Salvia horminum, Dolichos biflorus and Glycine max as well as Arachis hypogaea in case it was a non-microbial polyagglutinin such as Tn or Cad?

My question arises from information I obtained on page 513 of Harmening’s 5th Edition of Modern Blood Banking.

Hi Catherine - if you're using monoclonal reagent anti-A and anti-B the problem should not present itself as the monoclonals are not supposed to detect polyagglutination. I would think about the only way you would detect polyagglutination nowadays would be to have a patient be incompatible with a polyagglutinable donor. Is this correct Malcolm? (And Malcolm, how do you manage to stay on BBT what seems to be 24 hours a day? Does sleep or work ever interfere?:rolleyes:)

Thank you!

I forgot that polyagglutination was a problem in the old days before monoclonal reagents.

I was asking anyone or everyone who might answer, and I was referring to Dianne's SOP. On page 5 of her SOP the name Arachis hypogea lept out, probably because it was italicized, and I had to rush to the books to remind myself of things pertaining to lectins and polyagglutination.