Calibration Sensor

Alternatives

Hi all,

I would like to get your opinion and help, about how do you calibrate your temperature/humidity/pressure sensors you use when you monitor your thermal equipments and facilities. I heard and see different approaches in hospitals.

A sensor for me, is like a watch. With time, data have to be adjusted, and that's the objective of a calibration. Once a year minimum.

When I calibrate sensor, I compare the temperature of the sensor in a bath, with a more accurate and precise thermometer (NIST) on several points across it range (minimum of 2). They are always small differences between both, so I calculate the difference on each point, and then adjust my sensor accordingly. This way, sensor could display a temperature on the software, after this adjustment. I edit a calibration certificate for each logger.

I've seen a different approach: the hospital use another NIST and calibrated thermometer (same accuracy/precision), place it inside the equipment, next to the sensor to be verified, and compare data between both. The only certificate of calibration available and edited is for the NIST thermometer.

What's the best way to do it in term of regulatory requirement and quality?

If the verification only is acceptable:

- How do you determine for how long you have to compare data?

- Knowing that the temperature inside an equipment is not homogenize everywhere, how do you determine that it does not impact the difference that you might have between 2 readings?

- Do you have to use same kind of logger (electronic Vs glycol for example) as it could explain differences between both of them? Except being a NIST thermometer, how do you choose one and not another?

- If you find differences, do you then calibrate the sensor to adjust it?

As far as I am concerned, I do not consider the latest, being a calibration, but a verification. Verification let too much place for approximation, and in case of cold chain failure and major incident, it's easier to have a scientific and legal rational when you calibrate them. Furthermore, in case of differences after a verification, only solution is to calibrate the sensor, so double the work and the cost.

What's your thought about it and do you know what the regulation request?

Thanks in advance!

Benoît