FFP relabeled as "thawed plasma"

lwarner

We recently had an inspection with Joint Commision and were told that FFP after thawing needs to be relabeled as "Thawed Plasma" prior to issuing for transfusion. Has anyone else heard this? I can't find anything about how to relabel or if there are any regulations regarding this. FYI-this would be for issuing within the 6 hour limit. :confused:

I have attached some labels for you to use for testing or validation (ISBT only). Also a copy of our procedure.

We hand write the new expiration date on the lower right quadrant.

Each sheet is appropriate for a specific product code. We print them on Avery 5163. (set fit to page to "none".) If you print these labels you must be registered with ICBBA.

• 2 months later...

The JC standards that go into effect 1/1/12 state that the plasma must be labeled as "thawed plasma". Since the words are not capitalized, I don't think that it refers to Thawed Plasma (with the 5 day exp). It sounds like you need to label the plasma as thawed with the new exp. date/time. Of course, I have been known to be wrong on many occasions!

:confuse::confuse::confuse::work:

From what I was able to find out, the FDA initially admitted that the 6 hour expiration in the CFR was probably a clerical error (they were thinking cryo instead of plasma) and they said they were going to waive the variance for that reason. This summer apparently there was a decision to let it stay that way in the CFR, and the JC decided (see link above dated July 1st of this year) that a variance would then still be needed. I just applied for the variance and received it from the FDA a couple weeks ago.

This question was asked at the AABB meeting in San Diego a few weeks ago during the "Ask the FDA" session and it was stated by the FDA that if you want to use FFP post-thaw for up to 24 hours (rather than 6 hours), you must get a variance. Unless something has changed in the last month, a variance is still needed to use the 24 hour expiration. (I know... seems silly)

Wouldn't it be nice if the FDA would just fix this one? finally? which has been the case for at least the last 12-14 years? Why say we all have to do something, then say everybody can ask for a variance to do it differently? Think of all the extra paperwork for everyone concerned. HEAVY sigh!!!!

(I do have the variance and they are easy to get.)

I have a question. When thawing FFP and placing a new label on it with the new exp. date I cross off the old original 12 month exp. date. Is crossing off the original date a no-no with AABB? I can not find this in the technical manual any where. Another Blood Bank said this is "off limits" with AABB. Does anyone know if this is true?????

• 1 month later...

This just came today from the AABB:

The Food and Drug Administration has announced publication of a final rule — titled "Revisions to Labeling Requirements for Blood and Blood Components, Including Source Plasma," effective July 2, 2012 — that updates most of the proposals published in a July 30, 2003, Federal Register notice. Upon the effective date of the rule, several variances to current regulations that many establishments use will no longer be needed, as the updated regulations 1) eliminate the two remaining inconsistencies between the Version 2.0.0 Standard (ISBT 128) and the regulations, and 2) no longer state that frozen plasma should be administered within six hours after thawing.

One more thing to remember and has been discussed before in this forum-- any labels stuck to blood components have to be FDA compliant with regards to the adhesive used. Avery labels are not approved for affixing to blood component bags. Shamrock is one label Co. that I know that has blood bank labels that have approved adhesive (it is stated as such in their catalog). There are probably others.