Footwear Regulations?

EDibble

I am the safety officer for our laboratory. Recently, a new employee mentioned that she had seen a regulation regarding lab footwear that excluded clogs as a acceptable shoe in the clinical lab. Of course, we have not allowed open toes or fabric shoes for a long time, but lots of folks wear leather or rubber clogs.

I cannot find anything in OSHA or CAP that addresses this. Does anyone have a reference?

Thanks,

Many years ago, a safety officer had this question for those who wanted to wear clogs, "Can you walk (or run) as fast wearing clogs as you can wearing athletic shoes? The idea is that with no back, one can not move as fast with clogs during an emergancy.

Here are two links to letters from OSHA regarding footwear. I cannot find anything that requires closed shoes in a lab. If there is a reasonable likelihood of exposure, then the employer must provide shoe covers. It states that shoes that are also worn outside the lab are not considered PPE. Each employer must determine what is appropriate footwear based on hazards.

http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=INTERPRETATIONS&p_id=25497

http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=INTERPRETATIONS&p_id=25439

If you are speaking about "Crocs" (which by the way are very comfortable and yes, you can run in them), most models have holes in the top. I do not think this OSHA acceptable.

Our policy says no holes in the tops of your shoes and if you are wearing athletic shoes, they must be impervious to fluids (leather, not nylon). I believe that OSHA regs are cited as the reason for the policy.

Our policy says no holes in the tops of your shoes and if you are wearing athletic shoes, they must be impervious to fluids (leather, not nylon). I believe that OSHA regs are cited as the reason for the policy.

Previous employer had what Ann has posted. Curerent employer dress code says "Required to wear closed toe shoes".

It was in the chemical hygiene plan of the last 2 places that I worked. Had nothing to do with biologics. Unfortunately I don't have a source.

From what I remember reading, the major concern is chemical - acids, caustics, and absorption of chemicals through the skin from spills on your feet. But I don't have the specific source other that 'OSHA'.

• 5 months later...

I had a boss that once tried to outlaw clogs because he said people couldn't run in them. Once it was pointed out that the women's dress shoes worn by the administrative staff in the lab would be much worse for running in (plus the gal with rheumatoid arthritis that really needed to wear her berkenstocks) he relented.

I had a boss that once tried to outlaw clogs because he said people couldn't run in them. Once it was pointed out that the women's dress shoes worn by the administrative staff in the lab would be much worse for running in (plus the gal with rheumatoid arthritis that really needed to wear her berkenstocks) he relented.

I was always brought up to think that one should not run in a hospital anyway, except for a cardiac arrest.

I had a boss that once tried to outlaw clogs because he said people couldn't run in them. Once it was pointed out that the women's dress shoes worn by the administrative staff in the lab would be much worse for running in.

I had to chuckle. ("Power to the people!!")

It also brought to mind that our institution has a policy prohibiting fingernail polish for employees in patient care area. (Never mind that the top two gals in one such area have beautiful long, red nails.)

I have always been more worried about broken glass staying out of my shoes than chemicals - both are bad, I admit, but I see a lot more broken tubes in Blood Bank than any chemical spills.

Aren't tubes unbreakable these day?