Meditech 6.0 Help:

I would like to know how other meditech 6.0 users are "transfusing" units in Meditech 6.0. Currently we are using meditech 5.64, and we have a routine in which we change all issued units for the previous 24 hrs, at one time, to a transfused status.

Meditech is telling us that in 6.0 we will have to either "Auto Transfuse", and the units will go to a "Presumed Transfused" status, or we will have to transfuse each patient/unit on an individual basis. -- I would appreciate any help, as we transfuse several products daily, and this could really slow us down. Furthermore, Meditech even has a built in a warning about autotransfusing; Something to the effect of "Meditech does not recommend Autotransfusing do to Federal Regulations"--what regulations, and if it is a problem, why does meditech even have the function?--

Also, we are not currently using TAR, but may in the future, how will TAR effect how units are Transfused in meditech

Thanks for any help

Nancy F,

We do use TAR and that would be my recommendation. We are also currently on Meditech 5.64 and the documentation flows from TAR to BBK in real time. We still have the units set to Auto-Transfuse after 6 hours for those times when the nurse cannot access TAR for whatever reason. When this happens, I track down the documentation and enter it into BBK. It works quite well for us.

Edited by BankerGirl
additional information

We are doing the same as BankerGirl. We use TAR which is great since the nurses at the bedside "Begin" and "End" the transfusion themselves which takes the product to the status of "Transfused" at the end of administration. For those few areas that still use paper forms (outpatients and surgery), we have the computer set to auto-transfuse those after 8 hours from issue. Those units end up with a "Presumed Transfused" final status.