Hematology Analyzers

jbrun

Our current heme analyzer is the Coulter LH750 and is due for replacement. We are looking at the Sysmex XT 4000 AND the Coulter DxH. I was wondering if I could hear from past Coulter users that have now gone with Sysmex as to their rationale in making that decision and what their experiences have been since the change. There are many factors involved in choosing analyzers as well as advantages and disadvantages. I'd like to hear some real world experiences.

For many years this lab was a "Coulter lab". When I started here 18+ years ago we had a Sysmex NE5500. Suffice it to say there were problems with this instrument. We changed back to Coulter when the NE5500 was replaced. It performed better, but still had issues. When this instrument was replaced the choice was made to return to a Sysmex model again. Most of the techs were less than thrilled given the past experience with Sysmex. We have had this instrument for over 10 years now (!) and it has been phenominal! Sysmex learned from the design issues on the NE series, and the corrections were made in the XE series. We have had the XE2100 for over 10 years and are looking to replace it with the XT4000i potentially. I can only sing the praises of the second Sysmex instrument I have extended experience with. The service support from the company is also tops and no I do not have a vested interest in this company although it may sound a bit that way. Good luck with the decision.

Although a smaller lab I have used both Coulter and Sysmex haematolgy analysers. The Sysmex SF3000 was brilliant for the 14 years we ran it, service and support was first class. Service and running costs were less, the requirement for calibration non existent, external quality control performance excellent. I wholeheartedly agree with Deny make your decision with a very open mind and do not be afraid to change.

Steve

:):):)

In a former position I was Hematology and Blood Bank Supervisor and we were a Coulter lab for many, many years. We made the switch to Sysmex XE2100 and couldn't have been happier. I used it primarily in a pediatric setting and ran about 100 CBC's a day, supporting a BMT unit, sickle cell clinic, that type of thing. We went 17 months from day of go live to the first service call that was not a PM.

There are more reagents on a Sysmex analyzer but they keep the analyzer clean and changing them is really not a big deal. It was very fast and able to handle abnormal specimens very well. We validated and extended our platelet linearity from zero to in the neighbor hood of 1 million. When the Cellpack (their version of Isoton) ran out, the cube was bone dry and there was no pouring leftover reagent down the drain. I loved their QC functionality.

Our experience was similar to Deny Morlino. Service was top notch, the FSR did the calibrations, the instrument was rarely down. We found we had more "free time" once we made the initial transition and were free to do a little more multitasking.

It's been a while since I worked at this position and can't think of any big negatives off the top of my head. Keep an open mind, go on site visits if possible and talk to the true end user, the tech at the bench.

• 1 month later...

I have used Advia's, Coulters and Sysmex machines and I would say Sysmex wins. They are easy to use, the online QC management program (insight) is great, I love getting an optical plt, %IG and automated NRBC count. We have 2 XE-2100's, a XS-1000i and a Poch-100i in our organization. We also have the XE-2100's set up on an automated line with a slide maker stainer that is wonderful!!!. Very easy to maintain, we have had almost no major issues with them. I dislike the Coulters because we always had problems with them ( I used the LH500 and LH750). I did not like the way they ran, and the software. The Advia's weren't bad but it always seemed like we were sucking clots into the guts of it and needing it replaced (a lot of that was user error I will admit). Hope this helps if you want more info just holler :)

• 2 weeks later...