To share with you

galvania

I saw a wonderful case today of how, just when you thought you'd thought of everything, you see something new. I had an appointment today in a lab, but arrived early, so I went to get a cup of coffee in the cafeteria, which has a lovely terrasse - which I didn't use as it was too hot. the temperature today is 30°C. However, one of the patients was out there enjoying the sun - with his arm connected to a blood transfusion - and yes, I do mean red cells:cries:

Have seen in past patient in wheelchair with no legs , smoking and receiving a rbc transfusion in sun at top of fire exit

full knowledge of nursing staff ( patient had friend with them ) sunny day but not 30oC this is the UK after all

On the other side of the coin some of these patients may not be seeing a sunny day for much longer due to their underlying conditions , I can see both sides though 30oC is a concern

• 7 months later...

Hi, what a great post, I would think that the sun would be sufficient to keep the blood viable and flowing. This situation forces us to think "out of the box" and makes of experience and knowledge collide for the "best for the patient".

I have thought about this a little more, and certainly, as the amount of blood in the bag decreases, and the time spent in 30C increases, the situation could become of increasing concern. The transfusion director of the blood bank and the attending physician would be and should be informed of the abnormal parameters involved for the patients best well being.

Edited by dstoever

Hi

I have read much about Hemoviligance in the european states of Finland on a website long ago. It was an amazing insight to mointering tools of transfusion therapy. I forgot how I came across that site, but I remember it was an institution that was primarily focused upon any and every aspect of the transfusion process.

Is the Hemoviligance entitiy that you referred, a national, international or otherwise.

I would like to find that site again.

Thank You

Douglas Stoever

• 1 month later...