Dispensing of blood and blood products

MAGNUM

At my current Hospital, we will dispense it to "trained" Transporters or Nurses (a read-back is performed). We are soon moving to what I have done in 2 other Hospitals where I worked; that is sending the blood to the Nursing units through the pneumatic tube. So there will be no read-back on our end (but will still occur at the Nursing end).

At 1 Institution I worked at (not described above),only Nurses could pick up blood products. Now I would like to say that would help ensure that any "errors" were caught at issue. But sadly, their knowledge about blood products, blood types, antibodies/ antigens and attributes can be very limited. For example, I recall 1 Tech Issuing a unit of RBCs to a patient that required Irradiated blood. The unit was CMV-, but not Irradiated. I know the Tech. should have caught that, but when I questioned the Nurse as to why they did not catch it, his response was that he thought CMV- was the same as Irradiated. Sad but true. I inserviced new Nurses coming to that Institution and I spent a lot of time describing the different products; what they are used for; and attributes such as Leukoreduced, CMV-, Irradiated, hemoglobin S negative, Antigen Negative, HLA Typed, etc.

Brenda Hutson, CLS(ASCP)SBB