Use of CPT Code 86885

ffriesen

I don't do the CPT codes in my current position, but previouly I used this for tube antibody screen (for each cell), autocontrol, tube AHG xmatch, tube ID panel (each cell). What code do you use for gel for these--is/are there specific codes for gel?

• 7 months later...

We do the same but billing has received some payment refusals saying 86885 and 86850 (antibody screen) are mutually exclusive. I have explained to the best of my ability, including showing charge sheets from our reference lab with charges for 86850 along with multiple 86885 (selected cell) charges. Has anyone else had this problem? Billing said they need to add a modifier.

We use 86885 for antibody ID, each selected reagent cell. If we need to run a few extra cells for rule outs, not another full panel, this is the charge we use - 86885 X number of selected extra reagent cells.

We do the same. I have noticed that our reference lab no longer charges the 86870 AB ID/each panel and media. They just charge the 86885 for each selected cell. Sometimes we are charged for 25+ cells.

I have not heard that we have had any problem with these charges going through.

• 1 year later...

Thread back from the dead..........

I just recently had an issue from the coders at my facility concerning 86885.  They say I can only bill 3 of code 86885 per day.  The problem is with reference lab testing.  On AB ID's we get billed for 20+.

If anyone has more input, I would welcome it.

Thanks

• 2 years later...

That leaves autocontrol and other antigen types that are AHG tests.

86885 specifies "indirect, qualitative, each reagent red cell", if you are doing an auto control and antigen typing, you are not using "reagent red cells".  I do not believe this is the correct CPT code for thoses tests.    There are two CPT codes for antigen typing: one for donor cells (86902) and one for the patient (86905). 

Edited by BBfuntimes

I just recently had an issue from the coders at my facility concerning 86885.  They say I can only bill 3 of code 86885 per day.  The problem is with reference lab testing.  On AB ID's we get billed for 20+.

Thanks

Translate/Calculate them to 'panels' and bill 'per panel'.

Thanks

Anything over 3 cells is a panel = bill for a panel.