Total Transfusions in Meditech Magic 5.64

Hello Fellow Magic Users,

Is there a way to pull up a report on the total number of units (specifically red cell components) transfused to a patient in your facility over their lifetime? I can of course count them in the history but I would love for Meditech to do it for me. Is anyone else starting to hear talk about notifying a physician if their patient has been transfused with at least 20 units over their lifetime so they can start monitoring serum ferritin for evidence of iron overload? That's where this is coming from. We're not actually doing it yet...but I have a feeling it's coming...:redface:

Becky

Becky, I don't know how to pull up that information. Our oncology center will sometimes ask me about this. I hope there is a way to get it. Good luck!

:meditate::meditate::meditate::meditate::meditate:(still trying to get my "zen" on!)

Is anyone else starting to hear talk about notifying a physician if their patient has been transfused with at least 20 units over their lifetime so they can start monitoring serum ferritin for evidence of iron overload? That's where this is coming from. We're not actually doing it yet...but I have a feeling it's coming...:redface:

Becky

I received an educational CD on this very topic several months ago. Information was very informative, but I passed it on to the Heme super. Can't remember the company, but will try to find out. Our Oncologists seem to be on top of this already (pleasant surprise).

• 4 months later...