Basic Book for Intro to Blood Banking

mrhelton

I am looking for a very basic intro book for a class of high school science club students that I can use for a couple of workshops with them. Any suggestions?

I have looked at Amazon.com and the AABB marketplace but have not found anything yet.

Thank you,

Rogers

For really, really basic beginning info, the old red & white Ortho books are good. ("The ABO & Rh Systems", "Hemolytic Disease of the Newborn", & "Compatibility Testing.") (You would probably have to borrow them from an old Blood Banker.)

I taught a very basic college freshman intro to med tech course and used a book called "Blood, the River of Life", I think it was produced by the American Red Cross. Sorry- this may be another referral to an out-of-print source. It was truly basic and written at a level appropriate for high school student. I think Harmening or Daniels would be too advanced. I don't like reading Harmening myself--writing style too tortured.

Wonder how many of you have read this book "Blood Tranfusion - A Conceptual Approach" by JG Kelton, NM Heddle, and MA Blajchman. A real old book with lots of cartoon drawings which help you to understand more easier.

The publisher of "Essential Guide to Blood Groups" is Blackwell Publishing Ltd. Agree with Malcolm that this is a good blood bank book in beginner level, but lacks donor blood / components preparation.

I am afraid books from AABB and Modern Blood Banking would be a bit difficult for beginner in high school level.

CK Cheng, MSc, SBB(ASCP), CQA(ASQ)

Hong Kong

Another out of print book that offers some good basic informaiton is "Immunohematology for Nontechnologists" which was published by the AABB as a workshop book in 1983. I've gone back to it a number of times, when working with beginners.

AABB is considering offering some books (such as the one I've listed) electronically. Probably not quick enough to help you but it may down the road.

Jeanne

• 3 weeks later...

I have found a new student level book that I like better than Harmening. Basic and Applied Concepts of Immunohematology, by Kathy Blaney and Paula Howard. Still might be above the high school level.

How about some of the online materials written for patients, either on blood center websites or the AABB? I just looked on wikipedia under Transfusion. There is some good history there and looks like accurate information, plus I saw "red gold" in a couple of references. Wikipedia is getting better for blood banking but some of us really should put in some time on there improving it. Maybe Labtestsonline.org has something?

• 2 months later...