Blood Bank Plasma Freezer

tms8313

I was wondering if anyone could give me a recommendation on the type of plasma freezer they are currently using. Also let me know about problems they have had with specific freezers.

We are having repeated problems with our current freezer and I am completely dissatisfied. We are researching a replacement. Thanks for your responses!

Our volumes are small so we only keep 12 units of plasma on hand. My recommendation may not be of much use to you as a result. We have had an Allegiance Gold Series for about 10 years. We did have a freon loss last spring that took the unit out of service for a couple of days. The length of time was because the unit was not manufactured with freon charging ports. A local refrigeration company braized the fittings into place, repaired a hairline crack, and recharged the unit. It has been working well ever since. It worked well prior to the failure too. Temperatures are stable, it thermal cycles regularly to remain frost free, and alarms quickly when temperature limits are reached.

Have also heard very good things about Helmer units although they can be a bit pricey. Good luck on your quest!

We also have a Helmer i series freezer. We keep about 15 O, 15 A, 15 B, and 15 AB units of FFP, 6 prepooled bags of cryo and 15 cryo-reduced plasma in ours. We have room for the ice bottles for coolers and some frozen hematology specimens! It is a great freezer.

We purchased a Helmer i-Series freezer last year. No problems with it at all so far. Temperature stays at a rock-solid -30.8 degrees C between the (short) defrost cycles. We are very happy with our purchase.

that's interesting that everyone has mentioned Helmer i series. That is the freezer that we are having such problems with. We have had it for exactly 3 years and it has been down 6 times in those 3 years. Once it went down in the middle of our CAP/AABB on-site inspection. That was fun.