Thermco blood bank thermometer

Eagle Eye

• 2 weeks later...

We use it and like it very much. We QC it once a week since we don't get a lot of returned units. WE got this one since it probably wouldn't walk away. We have only had to send it back once to get calibrated in the 3 years we have had it.

• 2 weeks later...

For QC, we get a plastic bag and put ice into the bag.We then add water to it. Then we take our thermometer from the refrig and let it sit in the ice water for 5-10 minutes. We place the bag on the temp button and the temp of the ice ater and Thermco need to be +/- 1 degree. We do this every Friday.

We were worried with the infrared that someone might see it and it would walk. It could hide in a pocket.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Curious how users for the Tempcheck work around the +2 temperature accuracy. Their brochure states it "measure a temperature range of -40C to +40C with an accuracy of +2C". Does that imply the temperature reading for a unit must be between 3-4C because of this "accuracy"?

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thermco...Tempcheck...Laser thermometer device, etc.,

What are pro's, con's, recommendations from actual users of these devices? I am trying to research and not finding a lot of user reviews. I have a big concern over anything that is too complicated or lacks consistency. We are a small facility with a lot of generalists. I want to adapt a process to check temps on returned products, but I also want to avoid loss of product for a device that has questionable accuracy. Thanks for input!

We were very disappointed with this device. The +/- 2 degree makes it comparable to the infared Raytek thermometer. Not worth the expense and hassle of daily QC.

We just boxed it up and put it away.

Exactly our experience.

We've had this for about 2 years and like it a lot. There was no manufacturer requirement for daily QC, so I'm not sure why daily QC would be performed. We don't QC our other thermometers every day.

I agree with Terri. We like it a lot, and QC it annually.

We've had this for about 2 years and like it a lot. There was no manufacturer requirement for daily QC, so I'm not sure why daily QC would be performed. We don't QC our other thermometers every day.

I have a TempCheck and we also do not perform a daily QC.

During my validation of the thermometer I found the TC to be within 1 degree of the NIST Liquid in Glass temperature around 90 percent of the time and the rest was exactly the same temperature.

Their own annual calibration instructions even state that the NIST thermometer and the TempCheck must be the exact temperature during the procedure.

So I assuming they are just giving themselves breathing room.

• 2 years later...

I want to resurrect this old thread to see if anyone has new suggestions for a thermometer for measuring the temp of blood products.  I'd like something that is quick and easy for blood bags from -40C to 40C with an accuracy of +/- 1C or less.  Any suggestions for something that is working well for you?

• 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Jumping in to this old thread.  I just looked at the Thermoco Temp a Check online and it recommends annual calibration - to send the item back there with a check or money order and they will recalibrate.  Is anyone having these recalibrated externally every year?  My old procedure for an older version of this item was to use the ice/water bag and NIST traceable glass thermometer and verify the temp.

That was all fine and good except that the upper temp seems off.

Thank you.