Stem Cell Storage Charges Info Needed

Are transplant facilities charging for storing stem cells (marrow or apheresis products - NOT cord blood) beyond the initial time period after collection? If so, what are you charging and are you sending a bill (annually, quarterly, monthly?) from the lab?

Our agreement states that the fee after 5 years is $100 but may increase without notice and the hospital financial staff says that "everyone charges a lot more than $100" so I'm trying to find out what labs are actually charging for storage and how it works for them.

If you like, also let me know how long you store products for...

• 4 weeks later...

We dont charge for storage of stem cell products. As far as I know there is no CPT code for it. We store products indefinitely until we have either direct knowledge of a patients death or they are listed on the social security death index. So far this has been accepted by financial as a cost of running a transplant program. If one of our financial people was chasing us to set up a way to capture some revenue to pay for the new freezers we keep needing to buy Id love it :P