IS crossmatch with gel

hughes

Our crossmatch maintenance is built for phases IS, 37 degree, and AHG and CC. We enter reaction results for only the phases that we test and ND (not done) for the ones that we don't. This allows us to use the test XM for any type of testing performed. I believe that there are CPT codes for IS, 37 degree and AHG phases but I am not at work and can't check my CPT code book.

I would strongly argue as to why this is necessary when our computer system has been validated for ABO comparison regardless of whether or not the patient has an antibody. Patient with an antibody would not qualify for electronic crossmatch, but it's still subject to the ABO logic tables at the time of selection and issue. I think we should really question the wisdom of FDA in requiring this since it makes NO sense at all!!!

Unfortunately, not all facilities have BBISs.

I would strongly argue as to why this is necessary when our computer system has been validated for ABO comparison regardless of whether or not the patient has an antibody. Patient with an antibody would not qualify for electronic crossmatch, but it's still subject to the ABO logic tables at the time of selection and issue. I think we should really question the wisdom of FDA in requiring this since it makes NO sense at all!!!

IS crossmatch tests ABO compatibility, Gel crossmatch tests any unexpected antibody in patient's plasma againsting donor red cells. They test different things.

CK Cheng, MSc, SBB(ASCP), CQA(ASQ)

Edited by ckcheng

Ortho indicated in the FYI bulletin recently that some of their customers had been cited as out of compliance even when they had performed this validation process. In the question and answer section of the same bulletin the following was included:

3. Can I perform crossmatch validation with the MTS Anti-IgG Card to detect ABO incompatibility?

The answer given was: It is not recommended that you perform validation to detect ABO incompatibility with the MTS Anti-IgG Card as extensive variations and large numbers of ABO phenotype samples would be required.

I would love to see the IgG card use validated, but will wait for Ortho to do the work on this to stay away from the risk of compliance failure.