anyone perform a tube draw therapeutic phebotomy

toelle

Our med. director would like an inhouse procedure for therapeutic phlebotomy. Most likely this would occur less than once per year or even less often. So, due to rarity of need and competency limitaions, we would like to perform doing a tube draw only. Anyone have a procedure for tube draw therapeutics they like for this purpose and would like to share?

thanks

We do about 80-100 a year and have not done this ever. If you are drawing 10ml tubes that would be about 40-45 tubes. On the one patient that needed a tube draw, we had one of the residents do it (in the clinic not the donor area) because we did not have a written procedure.

I would recommend not utilizing a tube procedure, in our experience we have had difficulty supporting the infusion set for more than twenty tubes. In the past when we have collected tubes it typically requires two to four venipunctures to complete the order. The needle typically gets obstructed by clot and it is not possible to strip tubing on the winged infusion set. I would support using the syringe method as this will not collapse smaller veins to the same extent as tube draws.

Good luck,

Barr

I have also done a few phlebotomies with vacutainers - difficult venous access on a particular patient. We stocked a box of 20 mL vacutainer tubes just for this patient. It is not a method I would recommend. The point made about having to perform multiple venipunctures due to clots/obstruction of the needle is dead on target.