Antigen Testing

Kristina

Does anyone do Antigen testing using the IgG gel card?

I know that there currently isn't any gel cards for Anti-K,S or Fya available, but I was interested in doing antigen testing with IgG gel card by using a 0.8% suspension of the red cells with 25 microliters of the anti sera, incubating at 37 degress for 15min before centrifuging. I have been doing a correlation between the tube and gel card method obtaining great results.

The routine antigen testing performed in the Reference Laboraotries of NHSBT that require an IAT are almost always performed by column technique (by that, I mean the major antigens like K, k, Fya, Fyb, etc), but the antisera, although commercial, are all validated for us by NHSBT Reagents.

I can't, therefore, see that you should come up against any insurmountable problems (although, of course, we don't have to bow down to the FDA, etc).

You might speak with University of Mich. (http://www.pathology.med.umich.edu/bloodbank/index.html) I seem to recall JJudd mentioning doing extended testing by gel in some article before he retired. If so, you can bet they have the validation and correlation studies to back it up too.

Another option is to screen using patient samples, then confirm with approved antisera using appropriate method.

I use gel for most of my ag testing. The coombs' reactive abs are run in IgG cards, the others in buffered gel. Incubation temp depends on the ab/pkg insert. I have found that the commercial Lewis A ab does not work in gel. Abs that do not require centrifugation (Ortho's anti-M comes to mind) also could not be validated.

Does anyone do Antigen testing using the IgG gel card?

I know that there currently isn't any gel cards for Anti-K,S or Fya available, but I was interested in doing antigen testing with IgG gel card by using a 0.8% suspension of the red cells with 25 microliters of the anti sera, incubating at 37 degress for 15min before centrifuging. I have been doing a correlation between the tube and gel card method obtaining great results.

There are definitely gel cards available for anti-K. We use Diamed ones everyday. For S and Fya we do exactly as you describe and have no problems.