Blood Specimen for Plasma/Platelet transfusion

khalidm3

I could probably go with that on platelet transfusion, however that would really scare me on FFP transfusions. There are too many areas for mistakes to be made. The first blood type could be incorrect, the physician could read the wrong blood type or write it down wrong. I would feel better if a blood type was determined at least once per admission.

I have always found it odd that we were so worried about incomaptible FFP but seem to never hesitate to give large volumes of incompatible plasma simply because platelets happen to be suspended in it!!!

Having said that we always required a current type and screen for all in-house patient transfusions and for FFP and platelets that was defined as "this hospital stay".

For out patients just coming in for platelets if we had 2 types on record we could give based on that info but that never really made sense from a safety stand point.

Interesting how on occasion safety can be sacrificed for patient convenience (sp?).

:blahblah::blahblah::blahblah:

There are a couple of items that may be used to justify a blood type once each admission in addition to some of the others presented

- it is a way to identify potential wrong blood in tube situations

- in the current economy, patients are sharing their identities and this would be a way of at least knowing what type person you're transfusing

- some Platletpheresis products and most FFP are larger volume products than they once were depending upon your supplier