Cleaning agents and blood storage

kriti

Does anyone know of any specific issues or have experience with cleaning agents and blood storage devices? A 3rd party company recently evaluated our entire laboratory and has graciously provided all areas with mandatory things that are to be done to prevent "mold resovoirs" including cleaning the interior, exterior and shelves of all blood storage devices with disinfectant wipes "routinely". The interiors are all stainless steel/glass. I am concerned with over-aggressively cleaning the storage units but also want to prevent the "mold resovoir" as well. Aside from the manufacturer's recommendations for cleaning agents, is there anything about the permeability of the blood bags that would necessitate being conservative with the cleansing agents? Thanks.

Do you have a mold problem? Or does this third party company make the suggested cleaning product?

I have used a variety of products to clean the shelves but only after moving the blood and typically following the cleaner with a water only wipedown ( especially when using a bleach based product).

There is a mold investigation under way and certainly some items have had to be removed and some minor demolition is scheduled to take place in some areas. The micro lab was initially targeted as the source because they grow cultures there. We left out a bunch of culture plates throughout all areas of the lab for our own internal investigation, and the hospital brought in the 3rd party to help identify the potential "mold resovoirs" and to make our lives more interesting. The 3rd party does not make or endorse any particular products.

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone know of any specific issues or have experience with cleaning agents and blood storage devices? A 3rd party company recently evaluated our entire laboratory and has graciously provided all areas with mandatory things that are to be done to prevent "mold resovoirs" including cleaning the interior, exterior and shelves of all blood storage devices with disinfectant wipes "routinely". The interiors are all stainless steel/glass. I am concerned with over-aggressively cleaning the storage units but also want to prevent the "mold resovoir" as well. Aside from the manufacturer's recommendations for cleaning agents, is there anything about the permeability of the blood bags that would necessitate being conservative with the cleansing agents? Thanks.

I suggest find out what brand of blood bags your blood supplier uses and call the company. From my understanding blood bags are also highly regulated surely they've done a lot of studies.

I'm more concerned with the mold issue, maybe have a temporary storage solution for the blood until the cleansing agent dissipate.