Super DAT

EMB4879

AS a Reference Laboratory person (and, I hope, a friend through this website), I think that the idea of a super DAT, as discussed above, sounds a load of c**p to me.

(Malcolm, you are indeed a friend through this website and) I agree with "c**p" 100%. I would really like to ask some of these folks just what it is they hope to gain for the treatment of their patients. If they think the patient is hemolyzing and all the chemistry tests say the patient is hemolyzing, they are going to treat the patient accordingly, irregardless of what the DAT result is. Why waste precious time and resources?

AS a Reference Laboratory person (and, I hope, a friend through this website), I think that the idea of a super DAT, as discussed above, sounds a load of c**p to me.

We're going to have to work together to try to help Malcolm come out of his shell!

Seriously, (once again!), I totally agree with you, Malcolm.

Donna

The answer, my friends, if not blowing in the (furtive ?) wind is available on this very web site - see the linked threads : there is one from some time ago called 'Super DATs' (like ordinary RBC but they wear their antibodies on the outside .....)

Does anyone out there have an SOP for super DATs? We are going to try to bring it inhouse rather then send them out since they are pretty simple (at least I heard). ANy help would be great!:o

I know the American Red Cross in St. Louis MO does super DATs. I will get their number for you to call them.:)

Just last week, we had 2 requests for this test. Makes me think there was a journal article published recently! We send ours to Blood Center of Wisconsin, ph. (800)245-3117 ext. 6250. On their website, www.bcw.edu, is a short paper describing the test (no SOP, unfortunately) with references.

I too am wondering the purpose, we typically due our DAT in the gel, tubes every once in a while (using Immucor reagents), very rare. If we get this request we send it off. Not too many, only a couple in the last few years. Never had them come up positive using the "super" method. We are just trying to do a little study to see if the DAT vs. the Super DAT vs. Gel method...any difference or a waste of money/time.

Just last week, we had 2 requests for this test. Makes me think there was a journal article published recently! We send ours to Blood Center of Wisconsin, ph. (800)245-3117 ext. 6250. On their website, www.bcw.edu, is a short paper describing the test (no SOP, unfortunately) with references.

I took a quick look on the BCW website, but didn't spot the paper. Can you provide more info about where to find it on the website. Thanks!

Well, I've read the thread below Peter, and I still stay with my comments above!

I have also read the thread from 2006, and whilst I don't confess to being an expert I have always been led to believe that DAT's using column technology are very sensitive so what's the point of a super DAT? Like Peter I had never heard of this test, clearly it is not a UK term.

Steve

Does anyone out there have an SOP for super DATs? We are going to try to bring it inhouse rather then send them out since they are pretty simple (at least I heard). ANy help would be great!:o

The American Red Cross does them in St. Louis. Call the reference lab at 314-658-2084.:rolleyes:

The description gives 3 reasons for requesting a 'Super Coombs'. For what it is worth here are my opinions...

Reason 1: A medic should not need a positive DAT to confirm AIHA!

Reason 2: Repeat your DAT using unwashed patient cells (it's not rocket science is it?)

Reason 3: Use monoclonal reagents that will directly detect IgA & IgM (i.e. anti-IgA & anti-IgM).

• 2 weeks later...