ABO/ Rh Testing- MTS gel vs. Tube

KBBB

On 8/23/2010 at 7:37 PM, David Saikin said:

I love ABORh testing in gel. My hospital is very small, all techs are generalists. I don't have any one that can determine mixed field in the ABD tube test. In gel it is obvious - and needs to be investigated. More expensive - not by much anymore; definitely more time consuming - you have to be able to generate a type fast (tube). You have to perform Weak D on cords bloods, but I even do that in gel. It standardizes almost everything, though I don't care for using 10uL of packed cells - I can't validate that. I can antigen type using 25uL of exhorbitantly overpriced antisera. I can do direct coombs' tests (and the complement check cells are always 4+); There are cards available outside the usa with all types of possibilities. I actually read an article where a group in remote Africa had validated the Kleihauer-Betke using gel (but lost sensivity with very small bleeds). Questionable cards may be preserved for future interpretation. The cards go in regular waste, not biohazard - my solid biowaste is down 60%. I like it more than I thought because it is more versatile than I thought. Capture has its excellent points also. If you are going automated, Immucor offers more choices - Ortho has the Provue.

For weak D in gel, what QC do you perform?

On ‎04‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 10:51 PM, MOBB said:

For weak D in gel, what QC do you perform?

Ideally I would use a DVI+ rbc however, I cannot find a vendor who would sell me a DVI+ rbc.  I run a D+ and D= rbc with each Weak D test performed. 

I think that DVI is the only mosaic that does not react in gel (made that way on purpose).  I actually have a DVI patient but she is needle shy so . . . i'm out of luck there.

On 4/6/2018 at 3:09 PM, Dansket said:

I have run an R1R1 cell for a positive control and an rr cell for negative control for Weak D testing in Gel since 1996 without any complaints from numerous inspectors, CAP and AABB.

Immucor now has a Weak D cell available. I've added it as a positive control. We get a w+ - 2+ positive reaction at IS, depending on the lot, and 2+ with AHG. It's a nice training tool as well.

10 minutes ago, AMcCord said:

Immucor now has a Weak D cell available. I've added it as a positive control. We get a w+ - 2+ positive reaction at IS, depending on the lot, and 2+ with AHG. It's a nice training tool as well.

I am certain that it is a nice training tool, but what exactly is it controlling?  All it is doing is telling you that the anti-D reagent/reagents you are using is able to detect that particular weak D type, but it/they may not be able to detect any of the 100 or more weak D types now recognised.

The rule in many cases in the US seems to be, if there is a control available, you should be using it.  We used to do cell counts without controls, then the manufacturers came up with "body fluid" controls, now they are required, even for manual counts!

I don't know how many hemocytometers I have had to recalibrate because of those damn controls!

Scott