Great Computer System

Does anyone have a transfusion service computer system that they love & would recommend? We're especially interested in one that has rule based logic, great reports, and can have several different users accessing an emergency patient's application when needed. Thanks!!!

We have Softbank and are very happy with it. I would recommend that you make a list of what you want in a computer system and rank them as "must haves", "very important", and "nice to have". Then set up a demo with a few vendors. Give them your list so they can be prepare a demo suited to your needs and not just their generic system demo. Once you narrow it down to a vendor or two, it may be worth having a conference call with their interface team and your IT department so any potential issues can be identified up front. Site visits are also helpful...but speak to the bench techs as well as the system manager and IT folks! Techs generally are more honest and direct in voicing their opinions.

That is all very good advice, bmarotto. Very good points!

My one exception: I wouldn't hand the vendors my list of "must haves". (Of course they will all say, "Oh, YES, our system can be made to do that!") I would bring it up during the demos and evaluate the responses. (Then, after the demos it's a good idea to make up another list of "Pros" and "Cons" for each system you are considering.)

Donna

If they can't demo it, then it isn't available yet. If they say their system can me made to do that, it gets put into the contract, preferably with a deadline.

I agree with listing the pros and cons. There isn't a system out there that will do everything you want the way you want. You have to decide what system is the best match for you. Don't expect perfection!

Could you explain the drawbacks for Soft emergency releases? Our system now will not let two techs access the patient at the same time. This poses a problem when you have a tech dispensing the blood, one trying to place new orders for the patient and trying to prepare/modify the products in the system.

We have SoftBank version 23.1.2 and are happy with it. It took us about a year to get comfortable with it. We transitioned to Soft from Hemocare.

Some of the limitations we have created workarounds for are:

Access to the same patient at the time of Emergency Release is a problem, unless each user has their own network account.

Electronic crossmatch is not possible when Rh negative patients are getting Rh positive blood.

System does not differentiate a cellular product vs. non cellular product for Leukoreduction and Irradiation.

Limitation of ten blood product request to the same pre analytic sample, unless built as an add on product order.

Could you explain the drawbacks for Soft emergency releases? Our system now will not let two techs access the patient at the same time. This poses a problem when you have a tech dispensing the blood, one trying to place new orders for the patient and trying to prepare/modify the products in the system.

Our problem is, you can't issue through the 'emergency issue' unless you have all the patient demographics including the special BB bracelet number. Usually we don't have all that information at the time of release. We rely on our backup method(manual).

True, 2 people can't access the same patient at the same time, but I hear that’s a safety issue.

We are in the process of building our soft system. I am very excited because we used to have soft and went to Cerner... Cerner is awful!!!!! Now we are getting soft back. There are some things that have improved in the newest version of Softbank. You can access the patient in certain areas when someone else has them up. Having the BBID mandatory on all patients is a parameter I think. I HIGHLY recommend Soft!!!!!!!:hooray::hooray::hooray::hooray::hooray:

When you reply on Cerner are you referring to Cerner Millinium or Classic? Also, I had heard somewhere (news article or something) that Cerner was going to start using Wyndgate's Safe-Trace for their Blood Bank module - does anyone know if that is true or did it happen????

Also, is anyone live on McKesson - they were using Safe-Trace for their Blood Bank module - how is it?

We have Cerner Millenium. I understand that people who are still using Cerner Classic like it much better.

And, yes, that is true that Cerner is no longer marketing their Millenium Blood Bank module, they are contracting with Wyndgate to provide SafeTrace Tx for Blood Bank.

Hi tbostock,

I work for a health system that has Cerner Millenium as well. I knew about the contract with Wyndgate for the donor module (because we are getting ready to begin implementation) but did not know about the transfusion module....this is very interesting. Do you happen to know what impact this will have on current Millenium Blood Bank users?

• 3 months later...

Our lab currently has CPSI, it has a lot of issues and is not user friendly. Getting CPSI to correct an issue is a big proplem and takes forever. Years ago we had CITATION and that system was great, very user friendly as it was designed by people in the lab~~ what a concept. As stated before, check around, never ask the company as they will tell you whatever you want to hear as a car salesman would!!! Talk to other hospitals that actually use it that you can trust!!! In this age, management looks at what is the best price and not the best product, remember you get what you pay for!!! But most labs are governed by people above that do not have to deal with the computer system, therefore it simply doesn't matter what is best except in their wallet!!! SAD BUT TRUE!!!:cries:

I am unaware that CPSI has a blood bank module. I believe they have some BB applications, but no truth tables. I have CPSI and I have their letter from the FDA exculping them from being a Medical device, so no 501k/not a BB system. Personally, I liked HemoCare immensely . . . sad to see it go . . . hoping to get HCLL. Going live with McKesson's lab system but not with their BB module (which is Wyndgate's SafeTrace Tx).

There is not, in my opinion, a GREAT Transfusion Services software out there. Every system has it's pros and cons - I've worked with Cerner Millennium (and Classic before that), Meditech, HCLL and SoftBank. You'll need to evaluate and decide which your facility can afford and what is a good fit. Also keep in mind any history upload of previous data that you'll want to make to the new system. Some systems are

In my former life I did a lot of work with Blood Bank software.