Thawed plasma outdate

dcubed

Almost all of the plasma that we use is "plasma frozen within 24 hours". After it is thawed, it can be used for up to 5 days. My question: is the time of the outdate at midnight on the fifth day or is it 120 hours from thawing?

You can use either. For products with an expiration of less than or equal to 72 hours, you must use the exact time. For products with an expiration of more than 72 hours, you can use the number of days @2359 (Technical Manual, 16th ed, pg 219). We have been using the 120 hrs but are in the process of changing to the 5 days @2359.

Edited by shelleyk482

It is easier for inventory management if all thawed plasma expires at the same time. When the expiration times stagger, the techs have to be more aware of when a particular product may expire. We have recently had 2 instances where a product expired during a shift and less than 30 minutes later we had an order and could have used the product if we were using the 2359 expiration. With a 2359 expiration, it is less likely that this type of scenarion will happen during the night.

• 9 years later...
On ‎7‎/‎6‎/‎2010 at 1:35 PM, shelleyk482 said:

You can use either. For products with an expiration of less than or equal to 72 hours, you must use the exact time. For products with an expiration of more than 72 hours, you can use the number of days @2359 (Technical Manual, 16th ed, pg 219). We have been using the 120 hrs but are in the process of changing to the 5 days @2359.

Does anyone have a recent reference for the expiration of more than 72 hours being number of days? I tried looking in the 19th Edition of the AABB Technical Manual and was not able to find this information.

The AABB circulation booklet states, page 31, under Liquid Plasma Components: "...and maintained at 1 to 6C for up to 4 days after the initial 24-hour postthaw period has elapsed." Since the first 24hrs distinguishes between FFP, PF24, and PF24RT24, even the circulatory specifies days after this first period. However, their measures for coagulation factor activity and their corresponding data is all in terms of 120hrs. If it's any consolation, my facility uses the midnight deadline.

I haven't seen anything about a product <72hrs dictating per hour, unless it's something like cryo? Even irradiated NICU units go out at midnight on the 3rd day from the irradiation date. Is there a current version of this floating around?

1 hour ago, Ward_X said:

The AABB circulation booklet states, page 31, under Liquid Plasma Components: "...and maintained at 1 to 6C for up to 4 days after the initial 24-hour postthaw period has elapsed." Since the first 24hrs distinguishes between FFP, PF24, and PF24RT24, even the circulatory specifies days after this first period. However, their measures for coagulation factor activity and their corresponding data is all in terms of 120hrs. If it's any consolation, my facility uses the midnight deadline.

I haven't seen anything about a product <72hrs dictating per hour, unless it's something like cryo? Even irradiated NICU units go out at midnight on the 3rd day from the irradiation date. Is there a current version of this floating around?

Thanks for this information. I was hoping there was specific verbiage in either the AABB Technical Manual or the Circular of Information that talks about the expiration "time" for 5 day plasma. We are currently doing 120 hours, but I would like to change it to 2359 on the 5th day.

24 minutes ago, TypeO4life said:

Thanks for this information. I was hoping there was specific verbiage in either the AABB Technical Manual or the Circular of Information that talks about the expiration "time" for 5 day plasma. We are currently doing 120 hours, but I would like to change it to 2359 on the 5th day.

I skimmed the AABB Technical Manual (18th Edition) and read: "5 days from date product was thawed or original expiration, whichever is sooner." --> pg. 19 Storage, Processing, Distribution, and Inventory chapter.

However, I also saw that there being no strict definition may be because thawed plasma is not licensed by the FDA, according to a paragraph on pg. 221: "These products must be relabeled as 'Thawed Plasma' if they are stored for longer than 24 hours. Although not licensed by the FDA, Thawed Plasma is included in the AABB Standards for Blood Banks and Transfusion Services and the Circular of Information for the Use of Human Blood and Blood Components... expires 5 days after it was originally thawed..." Cryo is specified by the hour, so I would follow the logic that plasma is going by days (i.e. the midnight expiration) because it does not specify by hour like other products.

Midnight is much easier :strong:

Yes, agreed!

3 minutes ago, Ward_X said:

I skimmed the AABB Technical Manual (18th Edition) and read: "5 days from date product was thawed or original expiration, whichever is sooner." --> pg. 19 Storage, Processing, Distribution, and Inventory chapter.

However, I also saw that there being no strict definition may be because thawed plasma is not licensed by the FDA, according to a paragraph on pg. 221: "These products must be relabeled as 'Thawed Plasma' if they are stored for longer than 24 hours. Although not licensed by the FDA, Thawed Plasma is included in the AABB Standards for Blood Banks and Transfusion Services and the Circular of Information for the Use of Human Blood and Blood Components... expires 5 days after it was originally thawed..." Cryo is specified by the hour, so I would follow the logic that plasma is going by days (i.e. the midnight expiration) because it does not specify by hour like other products.

Midnight is much easier :strong:

Yes, agreed! Earlier someone said there was verbiage about any time over 72 hours being by day instead of time; I was really hoping the current Technical Manual said something similar.

1 hour ago, TypeO4life said:

Earlier someone said there was verbiage about any time over 72 hours being by day instead of time; I was really hoping the current Technical Manual said something similar.

The 16th manual does say that, yes, but it seems like an outdated guideline as this limitation does not exist in following publications. I would just stick to the latest edition and keep to what it says in the Whole Blood Processing chapter. The two most recent publications do not have as specific of a definition anymore.

• 1 month later...

If there is any reference about expiry of thawed FFP pooled (open system).

If pooled(open system) and stored at 1-6C what will be the expiry,

if close system pooled stored at room temp or 1-6

above all if there is any reference about pooling of FFP after thawing

On ‎12‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 1:50 AM, irshadaad said:

If there is any reference about expiry of thawed FFP pooled (open system).

If pooled(open system) and stored at 1-6C what will be the expiry,

Looking again at the Circular, FFP should be infused immediately after thawing, or discarded after 24hrs if not refrigerated. The Technical Manual references that components prepared in an open system require a reduction in expiry time from the time the system was opened. But, use of approved sterile collection devices maintains a closed system instead, allowing actions such as pooling or sampling to maintain the original expiration date/time.

Thawed plasma is derived in a functionally closed system. I do not see any mentions of pooling in an open system -- only for platelets and cryo, with cryo having a 4hr outdate for an open system. The only mentions of pooled plasma was in regards to pathogen-reduced plasma, which had a 24 outdate from thaw. There is a section in the Technical Manual called Pooling under the Whole-Blood Collection and Component Processing chapter. You can also reference Table 9-1 Requirements for Storage, Transportation, and Expiration to see all the product types and their expirations.

Are you talking about pooling for fractionation?

Edited by Ward_X
addition