Immucor W.A.R.M.

Liz

Liz, if I can put in yet another plug for the PEG autoadsorption technique from the AABB Technical Manual: we switched to this technique after using WARM for several years. It is easier, quicker, more efficient, uses less cells, produces more adsorbed serum and is substantially cheaper.

We have found that 2 adsorptions are usually sufficient to get rid of all the autantibody, as compared to 3 or 4 using WARM. So there is less dilutional effect from residual saline in the red cells. As for the procedural dilution of the test serum by adding an equal volume of PEG, that's pretty much what happens if you were using PEG on unadsorbed serum. The Tech Manual notes that some have reported a weakening of antibody reactivity compared to other methods, and that some use 6 drops of adsorbed serum/PEG mixture instead of 4. We tested several spiked samples using PEG vs. WARM - adsorbed sera. We found equal or higher titers with the PEG sera (6 drops) and feel quite comfortable with the technique.

If you know where you're headed, you can do a serum panel, DATs, eluate and panel, autoadsorptions and crossmatches and get the blood out the door in less than 2 hours.

I have a question that I didn't find in the insert, and based on your experience: how many vials are there in a WARM kit and approximately how many autoantibody removals can I perform per vial. (I need this information to justify havng the WARM kits on the Blood Bank Budget). :(:cries:

Thank you

Liz :)

I believe 10 vials/kit. And as I said earlier in my post, if you are doing two cycle you will use one vial. once you make reagent it's basically good for one patient.

If your patient population is as such where you get DAT 1+ ot +/-...I think two cycle would be enough so in that case 10 patient/kit.

Liz, if I can put in yet another plug for the PEG autoadsorption technique from the AABB Technical Manual: we switched to this technique after using WARM for several years. It is easier, quicker, more efficient, uses less cells, produces more adsorbed serum and is substantially cheaper.

Is PeG from Immucor?

Do you have the Package Insert?

Thank you,

Liz :)