Ordering a New Centrifuge/Sero-fuge

lehooke

Does anyone have any recommendations for a new centrifuge/sero-fuge for blood grouping, typing and crossmatching? I have two Centra- B Plus centrifuges from Thermo-IEC. I like them because they are small and have been reliable , until recently. Now, one of them is in BioMed , awaiting a new mother board (which I hear may be obsolete) and I keep having problems with the lid on the other one. it's time for something new. i am looking at the Clay Adams, Sero-fuge 2001 and the HelmerSeroSpin- SO. Both of these units are bigger than the Centra-B Plus, but I don't think i can get those anymore, unless they're refurbished. I appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

We have the Serofuge 2001 and they are fine. There is another model that has a high/low speed setting, which would have been nice to have. I was unaware they are no longer being made. Check what Helmer has. I observed a benchtop model at AABB and was very impressed. Good luck.

We have had problems with the Clay Adams Serofuge. The lid starts to disintegrate around the bolts that attach it to the hinge . It starts with small fissures and eventually breaks off. The greatest stress occurs in the middle. You can't replace the lid and have to buy a new instrument. I have a Helmer Sero-Spin on order and hope it is better.

:boogie::boogie::boogie::boogie::boogie:

Edited by KKidd
I never could spell!

We've had a Serofuge 2001 that we've never liked. The control pad sticks out of the front and bounces around when you shut the lid; we've had to put rubber pads under it to stabilize it. The cell buttons seem a little fuzzy, even with a longer spin time. I think it may brake a little too hard but without the brake on it doesn't stop until next Tuesday. I've heard good things about the Helmer product.

We have two Clay Adams that neither have worked right since we got them. They'll take a notiion to spin out your cell suspension into the lid even though balanced correctly. We have a Hettich from Helmer that we really like and have bought several more for our chemistry lab.

Dade Model 569 - they are considered by some to be antiques. I've used them since forever. They are dependable, very easy to repair (parts are available from sources other than the mfg.), the head rides pretty high so you don't have to reach down into the centrifuge to retrieve tubes, ( that's my beef with the Helmer that is in storage), and if you are doing any manual washing the head comes out and you can decant all the tubes at once.

Biosys-Scientific Tech Talk:

The nicest thing about the old Clay Adams Serofuge I & II is size. The design remained the same for decades. Everyone got use to it and when the BD Clay Adams Serofuge 2001 & 2001 came out the first complaint was the footprint. It occupied more counter space when space was at a premium. Having been in field service and sales for 30 years, I know how important it is to have an instrument that preforms day in and day out regardless of it size.

Why the change? It was OSHA regulations that brought about the industry to incorporate safety into our devices. I remember when ever tabletop centrifuge and cellwasher (remember the Sorvall CW1) had no locking mechanism. As a result, the entire instrument had to go through design changes, even the CW1 was converted to the DuPont-Sorvall CW2 occupying more counter space. But, it wasn't just the door lock mechanism. The industry had to device a way to incorporate a "zero-speed" detect circuit. Yes, something to detect when the rotor or head comes to a complete stop for your safety. Not to mention timing, memory, speed-RCF conversions, etc. Ah, its no wonder why the housing got bigger while the rotor.head remain the same.

In ALL of the Serofuges you have an option of a plastic 12pl head or aluminum head assembly. You could hold onto your old head assemblys and use it on the newer version BD Clay Adams Serofuge 2001 & 2002. So, when considering a New BD Serofuge call me, I love to talk the talk.

Nestor Matos, Founder

Biosys-Scientific

"The Centrifuge People"

Toll Free: 877-246-7788

Dade Model 569 - they are considered by some to be antiques. I've used them since forever. They are dependable, very easy to repair (parts are available from sources other than the mfg.), the head rides pretty high so you don't have to reach down into the centrifuge to retrieve tubes, ( that's my beef with the Helmer that is in storage), and if you are doing any manual washing the head comes out and you can decant all the tubes at once.

Wejust bought a Helmer Ultra CW as our Sorvall Cellwasher 2 are problematic. I love the soevalls but we bought a reconditioned one and it's been in biomed too often.

Helmer good points: saline can be below on the floor so no lifting, there is a beep when the washing or spining phase is done, and I'm told the saline is warmed to ?help diminish cold ab's? (I just found out about this feature. Supervisor likes this feature, I'm not sure it's proper). Biomed likes it as it's easy to reach all places to clean and repair.

Helmer bad points: You do have to reach down to get the tubes, which no one likes. If you're not careful you can bang the tubes. There are multiple wash programs available (we wash cells 2x and wash 4x for coombs), but only 1 program for spining. If we need a 60 sec spin (for manual washing or for spining down plasma) we use the old Sorvall as a centrifuge.

I have used both Clay Adams and Helmer EBA21. I have experienced the same hinge problems with the Clay Adams. I have inherited 3 Clay Adams, so far no problems.

I prefer the Helmer, even though I have broken a couple of the metal spring hinges in it too. Of course, I miss the old Baxter/Dade immufuge.

• 3 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...