Extending FFP outdate

kimblain

We decided that going immediately to the 5 day expiration would limit the possibilities of errors and having outdated products on the shelf after the initial 24 hours. The number of hospitals in our group is about 23.

I think first thing to do is write a letter of understanding or memo to Docs that your facility will start the 5 day expiration date.....product will no longer be FFP after 24 hrs. Because of coagulation factor difference between FFP and thawed Plasma, Docs need to specify FFP if they want only FFP. 2nd, product need to be relabeled as 'thawed plasma' after 24 hrs and cross out product license (5 day thawed plasma is not a licensed product) make sure product does not cross state lines.

I opted to write our procedure to set the outdate at 5 days from the beginning. We cannot print expiration bar code labels, and I did not want to explain to nursing why the expiration date was crossed out, made shorter, then longer again if it became Thawed Plasma.

• 2 months later...

Hello, I wonder if someone out there has a sample of a flyer that I can distribute to introduce THAWED PLASMA in our facility.

I am hoping to implement as soon as we get approval from the committee. I will very much appreciate any literature I can use to start.

• 5 months later...

Product can be made directly to Thawed Plasma. The expiration date is 5 days from the date the original product was thawed. That means if you first create an FFP, when you convert to Thawed Plasma you can only add an additional 4 days to the expiration.

If you are going to call the product "fresh frozen plasma" it must be frozen within 8 hours of draw and used within 24 hours of thawing (with FDA approved deviation, otherwise 6 hours). If you call the product "thawed plasma" it is not a product recognized by FDA. The AABB expiration for this is 5 days and you can apply the label immediately after thawing or change it from "fresh frozen plasma" after the first 24 hours.