Cloudy FFP

rescyth

I thawed out 3 FFPs and 1 unit was cloudy. Where I used to work before, whenever we have cloudy FFPs we throw it right away but here (US) I wasn't sure how it works, so I called up the BB supervisor early the the morning and told here about the thing just to be on the safe side(before i trash the unit). She told me to visually check for discoloration or any chunks floating. So, I did and it was negative for any floccular materials and she said it should be good because ARC checked that before they froze it. So I released the unit for transfusion... Anyone care to comment? Im so :confused:

Some pictures of different examples of blood component appearance can be found at:

http://www.capitalhealth.ca/nr/rdonlyres/edmsikqpvavwkxv6nm7he5lugwyphr52glwfc7vlnn3pmklyzclwqneenjsxa7etcqbm2nvwbap744ksje6mjfsibrf/visualguidemod.sept07.pdf

Some of these might be helpful, especially for less experienced staff. The AABB also has a publication that I recommend: Blood Component Visual Inspection Guide.

Cloudiness could be due to lipids . . . this is one of those that I'd have to see to determine if it looked ok . . . how did the patient respond, which I guess is the bottom line?

From experience, I'm sure it's a lipemic unit but also from experience, I don't take risk with it either so it was kinda hard decision for me. The patient underwent surgery and after 3 hours of the transfusion of that unit, he got a cbc and everything was pretty normal. the 14 hour after cbc though, he got an increased wbc from 10 to 19k which can mean many things with that time gap.