Long Term Frozen Storage of Red Blood Cells

We provide a long term frozen storage facility in South Africa for rare blood donations to be used for transfusion purposes. These donations are currently stored using a high glycerol solution and stored at -80 degrees C. We have been having difficulty with the supply of the glycerol solution required for this procedure. My aim is to find out what methods other institutions are using for this facility and where they obtain their supplies from.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.:)

• 12 years later...

This is an old topic, and I have limited knowledge since I haven't worked with frozen units yet. 

But for what it might contribute: the only other method I've heard that is currently in use is DMSO preservation.  However, there is an article I found on a quick search that shows promise for some other methods that may or may not be in use in other locations.

https://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/acsbiomaterials.5b00162

If anyone has more relevant experience, please feel free to correct or add to this!