Exchange Transfusion Procedure

snilon

I am rewriting a very old exchange transfusion procedure and can not seem to find a reference to refer to on how to make the whole blood product. You must mix ffp and prbc's-our old procedure uses volume and uses syringes. I would like to find one that goes by weight? Anyone have any references I can turn to to find a procedure?

Thanks!:)

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

Our procedure is based on replacing the same volume of FFP as we removed adsol because adsol units run a hct of about 60% which is what is often what the doc wants for the exchange. It is nice not to have to measure the unit hct. Of course no one where I work has ever done this procedure because we haven't done an exchange in the past 10 years. We came really close last night but the lights did their job.

• 2 years later...

We use a procedure like Mabel's  and use it all the time. No complaints from the neonatologists. We use syringes to remove and replace, that way the exact amount of plasma is replaced. If you add a couple extra cc of AB plasma it brings the HCT just a bit closer to 50-55% which is what they are looking for. I have generalist on the night shift, so a procedure without weighing and calculating works well.

Liz