Sahara Plasma Thawer

mwilde

Is anyone else on BB Talk using a Sahara Plasma Thawer or have experience with these machines? They are convection heaters that rock the plasma starting @ 29C and increasing to 37C in increments. We've had electronic problems with both units and I understand that these are both replacements for the original equipment. I'm wondering whether it's worthwhile to put any more time and money into them. We have a Helmer as a backup and for TTP plasma exchange patients which is actually faster.

I'd be interested in hearing any information folks might have. Thanks!

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry, I am not familiar with the Sahara plasma thawer, but would like to know how you like your Helmer and if there is anything you don't like about it. I am trying to decide between the Helmer DH4 and the GEM Thermogenesis MT204 for purchasing a new plasma thawer.

Anyone else out there have any input on the best plasma thawer? Thanks, NancyC

We have had our Helmer DH4 for at least 7 years and have had minimal trouble (an elevator cable had to be replaced after it kinked). The temperature holds consistant and steady. Normal sized plasma units thaw in about 16-18 minutes. I strongly recommend the cover as it slows the evaporation rate of the water significantly (we started without the cover).

Very straight-forward. Quarterly lubricate the basket assembly lift-out rails on all four sides with a couple of drops of light duty oil spread on a finger. Helmer recommends cleaning the bath weekly by draining, soft cloth and cleaner wipe-down, and refilling with H2O with cleaner inhibitor added. Our volume of use is a bit lower as we are a small hospital (110 beds), so the decision was made to clean quarterly as well. We check the cleaner inhibitor levels monthly to assure there is sufficient cleaner still in the water bath. We perform thermometer checks throughout the lab semi-annually. The thawer is on the same schedule. The above are the minimums we follow. If the bath needs cleaning more frequently, then we clean it sooner than quarterly. The unit has been a workhorse for our lab since September of 2002.

One thing to consider for the Helmer if it is used a lot, the "wheels" will wear flat and start scratching the back of the thawbath. We transfuse a lot of plasma and we check these quarterly and end up replacing annually. I don't think our smaller sites have had to change these yet. We clean ours monthly or more often if we have a plasma exchange patient.

We have the DH8 and DH4s throughout our system and really like them a lot. We purchased the digital thermometer with each one and that is easy to calibrate if needed. We did lower our set point for the waterbath to decrease the alarms that would happen when thawing the maximum number of units.

• 2 years later...

It's been a while since this thread was active --- so I'd like to pose the question again and see if there is any more recent experience with the Sahara thawers (I think the current model is Sahara III but not positive). We have received approval to purchase a new thawer to replace our ancient Thermogenesis (which has served us very well, under very heavy use). My director really would prefer a "dry" thaw method due to a bad experience many years ago related to contamination in a water bath but most of the reports I read seem to support that the Helmer is the best thawer currently available. Anyone else have experience with the Sahara or some other dry thawer approved for use in the U.S.?