?Bad lot of Ortho Gel Cards ???

roberman

Likewise Lisa, I am also sorry to hear of your illness.:o I agree wholeheartedly with Malcolm I would not have known you are wearing a wig and you look very much younger than your age. I hope in no way were you offended by our banter, but you do seem to have such a good sense of humour. Malcom and I fight, no we just enjoy the banter becuase it makes the day go round.

We are all routing for you and enjoy your input, I hope you can put up with our cheeky remarks!!!!

Kindest regards

Steve

:):):):)

^^Don't worry guys--I don't offend easily! I too, enjoy it here because I'm learning a lot from everyone else's knowledge and I also enjoy the jokes too! But not to derail this forum, if you want to read more, I've chronicalled my breast cancer journey here in the Nine Inch Nails forums:

http://forum.nin.com/bb/read.php?36,628480

It's a fairly long read, with the most current stuff being on the last pages of the thread. I'm being surgically reconstructed in a week and a half, and mind you--that thread in NIN is filled with black, inappropriate humor, and photos worthy of Monty Python! LOL! I do know that cancer is no laughing matter, but that's how I've chosen to deal with it because humor takes it's power away. So if you want to see me without the wig--check the last couple of pages because I've been doing "hair regrowth" updates, lately--lol!

"And now, back to our regularly scheduled Blood Banking program. . . " lol

Lisa,

I, too, am so sorry to hear of your illness, but glad you are obviously "on the mend", and I hope you continue to do well. Keep up that wonderful attitude, Lisa! I agree with Steve and Malcolm.....never would have guessed your age. ("You look mahhhrvelous, dahrling......simply mahhhrvelous!!!")

Donna

^^Thanks, Donna! (Sometimes I tease my 14 year old daughter and tell her I'm going to trade my current wig for a Lady GaGa version and wear it in front of all her friends--it horrifies her, but then she goes off and snickers when she thinks I'm not looking!!)

Static electricity, huh? That's a new excuse. So now we have to use the cells in the cold, in the dark, and now on wet paper towels. Oh for the love...

My thoughts exactly!! Sounds like we need to start putting Blood Banks in dark, cold, damp cellars! We have had the problems with the Surgiscreen multiple times, but not the cards.

Brenda Hutson

We've been having the same ?junky? looking results, negative panels and often will try the 3% screen made up in the MTS dilutent to 0.8% (often negative but occasionally still positive - we call the negs NO ANTIBODIES and the positives UNIDENTIFIED). Another thread discusses this problem (sorry don't know what it was called)!

As far as volume problems go - is the volume problem at the end of the run?? We have ALWAYS had volume errors, usually we'll see bubbles at the top of the plasma well and we were told that those bubbles prevent the analyzer from reading the miniscus therefore it cannot read the volume = error. We don't repeat these (if the volume looks okay) - we trust our manual pipetting with a visual check!!

We also get some cards with 'sephadex' (fill residue??) ... since the Provue rejects these before starting a run we use them manually. There were a couple occasions when we've had ALOT of cards rejected by the Provue from a certain lot # - Ortho replaced them for us :0)

Yes, there have been a couple of Threads on the issue of Surgiscreen problems; either under this Heading, or Transfusion Service.

Brenda

I think the Gel cards are pretty good for ABO typing, but for antibody screens, if I had my choice, I'd use strictly tube method. We use a mix of both methods where I work, but I'd prefer to always see what happens to the patient specimen, at all phases in tube. We even have a procedure for Gel crossmatches, but I will never do that--Immediate spin in tube, or full-phase in tube if the patient has antibodies/issues.

We do the opposite; we do not use them for Blood Type (cost reason only) but do for Antibody Screen and Antibody ID. Yes, we have encountered some recent "issues" with Surgiscreen, but as methods go, I am still a "GEL" Fan! It is easy to read and eliminates a lot of the variability of grading reactions. There is a limit as to how many problems I would accept from any method; but I can't say that I have reached that limit with regard to GEL yet.

Brenda Hutson, CLS(ASCP)SBB

^^Don't worry guys--I don't offend easily! I too, enjoy it here because I'm learning a lot from everyone else's knowledge and I also enjoy the jokes too! But not to derail this forum, if you want to read more, I've chronicalled my breast cancer journey here in the Nine Inch Nails forums:

http://forum.nin.com/bb/read.php?36,628480

It's a fairly long read, with the most current stuff being on the last pages of the thread. I'm being surgically reconstructed in a week and a half, and mind you--that thread in NIN is filled with black, inappropriate humor, and photos worthy of Monty Python! LOL! I do know that cancer is no laughing matter, but that's how I've chosen to deal with it because humor takes it's power away. So if you want to see me without the wig--check the last couple of pages because I've been doing "hair regrowth" updates, lately--lol!

"And now, back to our regularly scheduled Blood Banking program. . . " lol

Absolutely fantastic blog LisaM.

I would recommend that everyone reads it. For those of you who may have breast cancer (and remember, us blokes can get it too) it offers such hope. For those without breast cancer, it is simply humbling.

Well done Lisa!

:D:D:D:D:D

My thoughts exactly!! Sounds like we need to start putting Blood Banks in dark, cold, damp cellars! We have had the problems with the Surgiscreen multiple times, but not the cards.

Brenda Hutson

Seems like most labs are already placed in cold dark cellars or at least by the back entrance by the garbage cans. Where will they move everybody to next?

We were to move to new construction space above ED (ASU is adjacent to us and needs our space). The new construction has been scratched. Now we are moving to 3rd floor of the patient tower (until a revenue generator is found to move us again :rolleyes:) At least we will have windows after the move :D. (Of course with all the vampires we employ this may not be a good move :eek:)

Dear Terri,

I just found this forum, and your post, today. First time on this site! We just had a problem with Gel vs tube, where Gel looked positive for Fya, and tube screening/panel were completely negative. I know Gel is more sensitive for the Rh antibodies, but I have not seen this particular discrepancy before.

Anyone else out there having issues with what appears to be increased sensitivity in Gel for Fya compared to a negative tube result?

Thank you.

Moira

Dear Terri,

I just found this forum, and your post, today. First time on this site! We just had a problem with Gel vs tube, where Gel looked positive for Fya, and tube screening/panel were completely negative. I know Gel is more sensitive for the Rh antibodies, but I have not seen this particular discrepancy before.

Anyone else out there having issues with what appears to be increased sensitivity in Gel for Fya compared to a negative tube result?

Thank you.

Moira

You can definitely catch anti-Fya with gel and miss it with tube. (Of course you can also catch anti-Fya with PeG and miss it with LISS.) Weak antibodies, in general, will be stronger with gel, though there will be exceptions. Don't look at this as a problem. What you are seeing is an advantage/patient care improvement with gel.

Indeed, very much a positive thing. It just caught us offguard, since no one at Ortho mentioned sensitivity of anything beyond the Rh antibodies.

Thank you for your reply!

ps - my mistake on the antibody...it was Jka, not Fya. Doesn't change anything here, but I thought I'd rectify that :)

Moira - I should probably also give you the bad news. You will see enhanced reactions with warm autos and find more anti-Ms, as well, so be on the lookout for that little problem. Overall, the increased sensitivity is a good thing. Sometimes we have to pay a small price to get the good things in life!

P.S. Welcome to Blood Bank Talk. It's a wealth of good information.