Timers for Coolers

Mary**

Our surgery department wants audible timers attached to the coolers that we issue blood in. I purchased small timers on a chain from Market Lab, and they the chains are all breaking off. Does anyone know where to buy good timers that we can attach to the handles of the coolers?

Thanks.

:confused::confused:

we used velcro as well. One problem we still had was coolers left in surgery or recovery after the room had been cleaned and cleared. The timer would go off but there was no one there to hear it! (kinda like the tree falling in the woods when no one is around.........)

Our surgery department wants audible timers attached to the coolers that we issue blood in. I purchased small timers on a chain from Market Lab, and they the chains are all breaking off. Does anyone know where to buy good timers that we can attach to the handles of the coolers?

Thanks.

:confused::confused:

I purchased timers for this purpose at a previous Insitution where I was a supervisor. I looked on Timer websites and found one that said "very loud" or "really loud;" can't recall exactly. I then velcroed them to the tops of the coolers. The coolers actually lived in the OR rooms (and freeze blocks were stored in their refrigerators and freezers); we tubed the blood in the pneumatic tube (with temp. monitors attached) and they would place them in the coolers. They would then set the timer for 1/2 hour less than the cooler validation time; that way, they had a "heads up" on when they would need to replace the freeze bottles.

I can try and get the information to you but not today; am swamped.

Thanks,

Brenda Hutson

We use the industrial strength velcro. We also use 2 timers per cooler; one goes on the cooler, the other is kept on a white board in the blood bank with the patient/room information. Blood Bank is then aware of when the timer is about to go off and they call the OR room if the cooler isn't back. If there is no answer in OR then they have security open the room and retrieve the cooler. OR has a position that is designated as responsible for making sure the cooler is returned and if we have to have security retrieve the cooler, it is an automatic disciplinary action so it has only happened once or twice.

We use the industrial strength velcro. We also use 2 timers per cooler; one goes on the cooler, the other is kept on a white board in the blood bank with the patient/room information. Blood Bank is then aware of when the timer is about to go off and they call the OR room if the cooler isn't back. If there is no answer in OR then they have security open the room and retrieve the cooler. OR has a position that is designated as responsible for making sure the cooler is returned and if we have to have security retrieve the cooler, it is an automatic disciplinary action so it has only happened once or twice.

Wow, you are on top of things. I do not have the staff to track to that degree but I think it is great.

Brenda Hutson