Hello from Atlanta, GA

ccquinlan

Hey there, I'm Craig and I'm an emergency veterinarian. I'm trying to get a blood bank up and running in my clinic so that I can produce blood products for cats and dogs. I'm hoping that this site will offer me some good tips on some of the basics with respect to equipment and such. I think that I am likely working on a much more basic level than many of you, but I hope to garner some useful info.

:)

i like big, pixley smileys

Welcome to Blood Bank Talk, Craig.

I have read several articles about veterinary blood banking (but not recently, so I can't cite the references), and I have had two friends whose dogs had autoimmune hemolytic anemia. Dog, cat , and horse, etc., blood serology is quite different from the human blood groups (as I am sure that you know.) The testing and collection equipment would probably be similar in concept, yet quite different than what we use on humans. I would think that it would be most useful to visit other veterinarian clinics that have already established blood bank services.

I'm sure many of us on Blood Bank Talk would be very interested to hear more about veterinarian blood banking and what you learn, so please post and share some of the information with us!

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome Craig. I am also interested in hearing about details of animal blood banking. I am located in Atlanta as well in the Gwinnett county area. I would love to visit your lab and answer any questions that I can. I work for a Blood Bank reagent manufacturer. Feel free to contact me by private message as well.