Sterile Connecting Devices - Need Advice

ribekak

I've posted in the United States forum, but thought I'd try here as well...

I posted a while back about a fundraising trek to Everest Base Camp to raise money for a blood bank for the Kanti Children's Hospital in Kathmandu. The trek was a great success, but now the hard work begins to set up the equipment necessary.

The individual responsible for sourcing equipment does not share a background in the health field and forwarded some questions about Sterile Connecting Devices. I was hoping some technologists out there, especially outside of North America, might have some suggestions:

1. I'd like an opinion of those who have used the Sterile Tube Welders as to which unit is best for our purpose - the Terumo SD312 or or the one sold by Genesis BPS which is manufactured by Haemonetics Corporation? Prices that I have been given for the Terumo unit is US$12,000 approx and for the Genesis welder, US$9500. (I'm wondering if there is a way to purchase these through CBS and save a little money - but that is another issue.)

2. I cannot locate any distributor/supplier or technical service in Nepal. Terumo has a distributor in Singapore. Therefore, I have a concern about obtaining servicing for the unit should it mallfunction. (One of the biggest problems faced in hospitals in Nepal when they do receive medical equipment is keeping it operational, obtaining parts and servicing. Hospitals tend to be filled with equipment that sits idle because servicing is not available.) Can anyone tell me from their experience how reliable this equipment is? It appears relatively simple - but, in your opinion would it be necessary to have at least two Welders, so there is a back-up?

3. How easily can people be trained in the use of the Sterile Tube Welder. Could I be shown, for example, and within a relatively short time master whatever technique is required and teach someone else ( I know that seems a bit of wishful thinking on my part). (The Red Cross does not have this equipment in Kathmandu but one thing I will check out as soon as I return is if they have personnel that may have used a Tube Welder elsewhere.)

Any information would be great.

Thanks for your help.

Ribeka Kim, MLT, B.Sc.

Vancouver

I have only used the Terumo welder, so I can't answer the comparison questions. The device is quite simple to use and ours has been extremely reliable. Training is also easy. You do have to be able to obtain the wafers for it. I don't know what kind of difficulties you might experience with that in Nepal. There is a welder that does not use wafers. The one we tested worked fine, but it had a larger footprint and required more extra tubing on the unit than our current welder.

I have used Terumo only and they are very easy to operate. the training time on using one of ht unit is no ore than 15 minutes per person. I have been working with these for 5 years now, and never once have they been placed out of service, no malfunctions, no other problems. hope this helps...

• 1 month later...

There was mention of a device that does not use wafers. Can anyone give me information about that particular device? It appears obtaining additional supplies in the developing world is extremely difficult.

Thanks.

Ribeka Kim, MLT, B.Sc.

Vancouver