Add-on XM in Meditech Magic

Hello all,

Currently, when a XM order is entered via OE or POE, and there is a current TS, the BB tech cancels the new XM (product) order and re-orders it onto the patient's TS req. Even though we put a comment in when we do this, there is confusion on the nursing side when they see their order cancelled.

My question is, can I set it up in Magic 5.62 so that the product order will add on to the TS req automatically (as long as the TS is still "good")? I've been messing around with it in test but can't seem to quite make it happen. My IT dept. is never really good at BB meditech issues.

I just want to know that it is possible so I can further investigate!

Thanks,

Becky

yes, it is possible. Our product orders automatically add to the type and screen for 72 hours. I am not exactly sure how it works, but it is possible. We are currently on Client Server, but we used Magic for many years and the product orders added onto the type screen.

For Client Server page 6 of Customer Defined Parameters/BBK OE Add On Orders/Maximun Hours For Add On:

You can add orders to existing BBK specimens to

· reduce the number of blood draws the patient must undergo

· eliminate clerical errors due to multiple product orders

When a BBK product order is received from OE, the system searches for an existing BBK specimen for this patient with

· the same prefix as the new product order

· a collection time within the time entered at the Maximum Hours For Add On prompt

· a status that is not equal to CANCEL

· a total number of ordered crossmatches (old and new) less than the number at the Maximum Crossmatch Per Spec prompt in this routine

If a specimen for that patient exists, then the ordered BBK product is added to the specimen in addition to any tests associated with the ordered BBK product (that is, if the tests are not already ordered for that specimen).

The system searches for BBK product orders that are redundant (for example, the same product for the same collection date and time). If so, the order will be rejected instead of added. Orders are not split between specimens. If the entire order cannot be added to an existing specimen, a new specimen is created.

You may also define a site and a printer where a message prints when a BBK product is added to an existing order.

Our nursing service just orders a msg called request for testing or products and the blood bank tech orders on the correct requisition. We have two expiration date scenarios, a 10 day for our preop patients and a 3 day for all others. The BBK parameters setting needs one or the other and cannot distinguish between the two.

• 2 months later...

Yes, this should be able to be accomplished. First go the option 94 on the Meditech screen and look for:

18. Cust-Def OE/NUR Params

Enter option 18 and look for this:

LAB OE Pxs MIC OE Pxs BBK OE Pxs

Px Hours Px Hours Px Hours

C 2 BB 72

On page 2 of that dictionary add:

BBK OE Add On Orders

Maximum Crossmatches Per Spec 30

Maximum Hours For Add On 72

Site Device

ML LBPRT16

As long as the order is entered on the correct account number the units of blood ordered will automatically attach to a previous Type and Screen specimen that is still valid. The key is to enter the units on the correct account number.

Good Luck!

John

Gang... I'm in the market for a new job (have my BB ASCP), but am a generalist as well. Need to know what hospitals in Washington and Oregon do NOT use Cerner software. Would prefer MySis or Meditech but others are okay, so long as Cerner isn't involved. Thanks.

• 7 months later...

I know this is an older thread but I have a question related to this topic. We are trying to go to a second blood type on a separate draw. When we order this after the initial specimen is recieved, Meditech drops any add XMs into the 2nd blood type specimen not the TS specimen because the specimen is newer. Any ideas on how to fix this? We are on Meditech 6.0 but our LIS person says that BB is very similiar in 6.0 to Magic.

clmergen,

Sorry to be so blunt but what nice drugs is your LIS person getting, and can I have some? We went to 6.0 in July and while there are some similiarities, there are more differences with magic/6.0 especially in the rules area. The add on will always go to the newer specimen. If I was you, I would just order the 2nd spec your self on the same req, and you won't have the issue. You just have to dodge the duplicate test error ( if you have that enabled) and I am sure you already have the second type named differently and not chargable.

True, you can add a comment on that specimen and put that this was a new draw or that a CBC tube and the spec number was used to confirm.

I don't usually do different draws on patients, even with no history. I have a second identifier on the bbk band ( two person signature) on all patients. The CAP standard says that two draws is one way to satisfy that, but not the only one. We cite the standard that talks about minimizing blood draws and the fact that you can't always get to the patient to re-draw, so we didn't think we would be consistently doing the same thing all the time. It is up to your institution of course, but there is no way around the add on XM going on the most recent spec number.

I have recently moved from one coast to the other. My previous hospital, we did the 2 separate draws, but it wasn't that many extra draws. So many patients have history or had previous specimens available. I really liked the 2nd draw from a patient safety point of view.

The new hospital is moving toward the 2nd specimen vs a 2nd type on the same specimen. We went live on Meditech 6.0 20 days ago (December 1st). The LIS person is going to try some rule and see if that works or assign the 2nd type to a different department. There are some options that are being looked at but I thought I would ask here first.

Of course we don't have 6.0 but can you define the xm to add on to the specimen that has the antibody screen? In the dictionaries, define xm products (LRBC) to add on to reqs with a TS or Antibody Screen ordered, and then it won't add on to reqs with just the 2nd blood type ordered? This is just speculation and what we have done here with 5.62. We don't require a second draw, but we have a couple of docs who think its necessary to order the TS and also the blood type. The blood type order never gets products automatically ordered onto it. I'm sure 6.0 is probably a whole 'nother ball of wax, though. Good Luck!