General

RR1

Another useful forum to begin discussions on the various UK Guidelines we have for Blood bank practices. This would be a very good area for more junior staff in our depts to begin to familiarise themselves with these documents.

Each time I go back to have another look at various BCSH guidelines etc, I am amazed at how much information these contain . I am very grateful to the folk who have spent many hours researching and writing these docs, and consider these the key to helping us standardise and improve our practices.:)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

any ideas when the "Precompatibility guideline" will be out, current sample times in relation to previous transfusions not practical , ? some time 2010

suggested on another thread that new guidelines will have 72 hour rule

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi All,

I have asked again and it appears that the draft will be submitted for review by the BCSH taskforce in June, but there is no definite date yet when the completed guideline will be published.

Oh...it's going to be a very long document then???

I hope it also states that it is not worthwhile sending samples to a Reference Laboratory to find out whether or not a 98-year-old female is Weak D or Partial D too, but what about the 86 yr old M/F ? I suppose you could use an age range from 60- 115yrs, but I forgot- the guidelines include females of child-bearing potential are up to 60yrs- or has this now been increased to 98yrs (i'm sure i've read about someone in their 70's giving birth -not sure if male or female though) , so we would still need to send these then???

:P

Edited by RR1