Blood Track Emerge System

BBKT

Is anyone using this system to control access to obtaining blood from an ER refrigerator? I would appreciate any input, good or bad. We have attempted to store O neg units in an ER refrigerator in the past. We ended up removing the refrigerator after 3 short months because the ER just couldn't figure out how to get us accurate patient information in a timely manner when units were transfused. It really was a nightmare from a bood bankers perspective. :cries:Our ER is requesting a refrigerator again and I am reluctant to try without some kind of sytem that can control access into the refrigerator, record when units are removed, who the units are intended to be transfused to, as well as alert the BB when units are removed so we know to restock. Yes I want it all. This system seems to be the answer but it is relatively new.

I am investigating the Blood Safe product from Mediware. It is a storage unit that interfaces with my information system. I hope it will be able to do all of the things you mention. I would love to hear what anyone knows about this.

I have always been very uncomfortable giving the ER staff direct access to blood, even using a "vending machine" type of device. Almost all Joint Commission inspectors that I have dealt with have agreed, and have told me that they usually recommend that hospitals remove blood storage devices from the ER and OR. So my personal opinion is to not bring the refrig back and ONLY consider giving them access if it is some type of secure device that requires all of the info up front, with no way to override it.

We have actually had pretty good success with magnetically locking the refrigerator. The release button is in blood bank, so they have to call to obtain access. Before we open the unit, they have to tell us the patient ID information. After it is opened, they have to tell us the unit numbers they are taking. The threat of removal of the refrigerator has pretty much been a good deterent to anyone who does not want to play by the rules. We have had very few problems with it and it has been in place for years (through multiple inspections by various agencies). That being said, I do not know for sure if JC has actually looked at it, since they have let CAP be their agent for a long time.

adiescast - Thanks for describing your system. Something like that would work very well for a facility of our size. I like the fact that the phone call documents who was involved, so if there is a problem you know exactly who isn't following the rules. (I like your system better than the expensive Blood Safe that is on the market, although I recognize that Blood Safe has benefits for larger facilities.)

The refrigerator is locked and access to the key is only available with secure sign in including password etc.

Our trauma coordinator monitors complete documentation of use of trauma O negs by staff.

Any abuse/neglect results in removal of the O negs until re-education is completed.

Completed transfusion records are sent to the BB.

The refrigerator and temp charts are maintained by BB personell. Temperatures are recorded by ER staff.

• 7 years later...

Hi adiescast, We are currently looking at the same equipment (Haemonetics/Blood Trak)  for our ED. I just moved into the QA position so overwhelmed and tasked with validating this instrument. Do you have suggestions or materials that can help with Validation?

Edited by AOLAW

I would check out the blood safe system from Mediware.  We put in for capital purchase for these for the OR and ER.  Perform exm and emergent release.  Nursing needs to be trained (by Mediware).  Expensive but well worth it.  I cannot answer any questions since I left that position prior to release of capital budgets. 

David,

We just installed the Blood Track Merge in our ED and Hemobank in OR.We had some issues with interfacing it with Meditech 5.67 to print the ER and compatibility  transfusion tag. The system tracks all the activity from user and blood product history. The system is not fool proof. The system requires  a scan of clinical staff ID, patient account number and the blood product. If the blood is removed and not scanned no ER tag is printed. In  the ED the blood units are not in locked compartments. This allows the clinical staff to remove more than one unit.  We have only used our refrigerator for two events in the ED. I have had several events with OR staff not scanning the blood product but was able to track the nurse who removed the product. The system works as designed if protocol is followed by the clinical staff.