Maybe I am just overthinking.....

melvolny

Your frozen plasma has an expiration less than 24 hours. When you thaw it is the expiration 24 hours from time of thaw, thus pushing it past the original exp date/time? or wouldn't the thawed product have the same expiration as the original frozen product???

It's been a long holdiay season....:)

or a smart human participating in the programming and developing the test scenarios. A similar situation applies to irradiated Red Blood Cells products, e.g., expiration date 28 days from the date of irradiation not to exceed the original expiration date. You might want to try that test scenario with your computer system, e.g., irradiating a red cell product within a few days or even the day of expiration and see what expiration date the computer assigns to the irradiated product.

your computer system should developed/designed in way that expiration date should be 24 hrs or original expiration whichever is sooner. I know cerner has a question on each product table regarding shortening the expiration date incase product is expiring earlier then modified product expiration.

Eg. If you have a fresh frozen plasma with expiration date of tomorrow and your usual procedure is to give 5 day expiration after modification to thawed plasma...in this case your computer system should give expiration date of tomorrow instead of 5 days. I believe most of the LIS should be able to do that. Somtime it depends on the system developer.

If my system wouldn't do this, I wan't be able to sleep!!!!!!

Eg. If you have a fresh frozen plasma with expiration date of tomorrow and your usual procedure is to give 5 day expiration after modification to thawed plasma...in this case your computer system should give expiration date of tomorrow instead of 5 days. !!!!!!

aakupaku22495,

Your facility allows a 5 day expiration time on thawed fresh frozen plasma?? Our guidelines dictate that it expires in 24 hrs after being thawed.

jcdayaz--Thawed plasma and thawed FRESH FROZEN plasma are two different animals. Thawed Plasma can be used up to 5 days, thawed Fresh Frozen Plasma expires in 6 hours (or 24 hours with FDA approved variance). ......

Yes they are indeed different animals. We use Thawed plasma for neonate exchanges only. Do other facilities use it routinely??

aakupaku22495,

Your facility allows a 5 day expiration time on thawed fresh frozen plasma?? Our guidelines dictate that it expires in 24 hrs after being thawed.

It should be same for 24 hrs expiration. The computer should be able to validate original expiration against new exp. for modified product and give teh exp. which ever one is sooner. I know cerner is able to do that.