ISBT and Cerner Millennium

We are in the process of developing our ISBT build for Cerner Millennium 2007.18. Our LIS person is curious if a one to one relationship for product build is the most appropriate way to go. If there are any Millennium users who have completed a successful ISBT build that would like to share information with us, please let me know.

Thanks

Chris

Well, we completed our build, but not very successfully. Apparently our version cannot translate the ISBT product codes correctly. Cerner told us that only the most current version (not sure of the number) can do it correctly. We were not happy after spending much money and time to do this conversion. We will not be upgrading Cerner as we are changing computer systems, so we are stuck with workarounds in the meantime.

• 4 months later...

I recommend a one to one build. That is also Cerner's official recommendation.

If you do a one to many build there will be serveral instances where users will be forced to choose which product thye have and that is fraught with the potential for wrong products to be selected. Modify Products can be particularly problematic with this.

Plus if you intend to utilize the functionality to print ISBT labels directly out of Modify Products utilizing the interface to a DigiTrax printer you have to have done a one to one build.

Yes, it is more work up front to do it one to one, but it will safe you a lot of headache and problems down the road.

• 3 months later...
Chris,

is your blood bank staff doing the testing of new products in Gold or test domain or is the LIS team taking care of that.

We have one LIS person devoted primarily to Blood Bank and she works closely with the Transfusion Services staff. She built the ISBT products and modifications in a test domain. She developed validation scripts and performed the testing in our test domain, and will complete additional tsting in production as we go live - which will likely be Summer 2011 when our ARC region completes their process.

Chris

We have been using Cerner's ISBT product since last fall and have been very pleased with our one-to-one build. I learned a long time ago if you take shortcuts in blood bank, you know you are going to have a huge problem on your hands eventually. Since going live we have had to build additional products and are finally getting the steps down so that it goes smoothly. We are interfaced with the Digitrax printer and once our IS got everything set up, that has gone well. It all goes back to the effort (and $$$) that you put into any project. Do it halfway and you end up with an inferior product.

We are in the process of developing our ISBT build for Cerner Millennium 2007.18. Our LIS person is curious if a one to one relationship for product build is the most appropriate way to go. If there are any Millennium users who have completed a successful ISBT build that would like to share information with us, please let me know.

Thanks

Chris

We built ISBT in Cerner Millennium and did go the one to one route. We found it the easiest for the staff. This eliminates the need for the staff to decide which ISBT code is correct when multiple codes are associated together.

We have been using the ISBT using a one to one relationship. It is extremely time consuming in the build but the end product works well. My only advice is making sure you have good handle on product modifications. Look closely at practices and limit the scope or the one to one relationship will bog down the build.

Hi aakupaku,

Little clarification to Cerner interface software; only Cerner Millennium supports HemaTrax Print Server windows service that runs in the background. Cerner Classic, however, has no means of interfacing to HemaTrax Print Server and therefore when printing ISBT-128 blood product labels you will need to use the HemaTrax Standalone system.

Let me know if this information helps or if you have any other HemaTrax question.

Henry Cagadas

Well, we completed our build, but not very successfully. Apparently our version cannot translate the ISBT product codes correctly. Cerner told us that only the most current version (not sure of the number) can do it correctly. We were not happy after spending much money and time to do this conversion. We will not be upgrading Cerner as we are changing computer systems, so we are stuck with workarounds in the meantime.

Ah...seems like Cerner is one HUGE "work around". We just got done with our build (we were given no choice but Cerner) and we were able to build ISBT. Even at that, it's a bit quirky and I'm sure we won't really know just how bad it is till ARC converts to ISBT sometime in 2011. You are very bright and blessed to be dumping Cerner. Please do not be taken in by Mediware. It's truly the VALLEY of HCLL. We jumped in not knowing all the facts about Cerner. Their people seem to be a bit difficult to communicate with. We're finding they will do things without telling you and with no concern of the impact it may have on your process. Suddenly things just don't work and then they don't seem to know how to fix them. I could blab on and on.

That's all I know.... my heart goes out to ya