% of False Positive results in Infectious Screening

Liz

What is the acceptable false positive results for your infectious screening in your institutions? for HTLV I/II antibodies and others.

I use the Architect for screening. But for any other methodolgy I would like to know what I should accept as percentage of false positives. :cries:

Thank you :)

Liz

• 12 years later...

This is an old post, but a little information: acceptable false positive rates generally vary with the methodology in use and whether those rates are acceptable is decided by lab management and the medical director. Usually the frequency of positive screening tests are tracked through the LIS so trends can be identified and compared to the lab-defined thresholds to know when action is needed to address a possible issue or interferent. It's fairly easy at this point to search up the documentation on most methodologies available to see what the manufacturer obtained as far as false positive results, and the data can also be requested by contacting the company directly.