Ortho 0.8%Reagent Red Cells Storage?

anapryz

Ortho is recommending that the exposure of 0.8% reagent red blood cells to light sources while in use and while being stored is minimized. Any suggestions on how to accomplish this? The refrigerator in which we store our reagents has glass doors, also we only use one rack of reagents and that sits out for a good part of the day..... Thanks in advance!!!

Ortho supplied us with a black plastic "file box" with a rack. We use that for the bottles, but we pour off approx 1ml of each into amber 12x75 plastic test tubes that we use on the bench. We have had moderate success with this--but it has not solved all the issues.

We leave our screening cells out for at least 8-12 hrs a day. we cut the box ]that the reagents come in] in half and use that as a cover over the reagents in the reagent rack. We also keep the provue door closed during the day since it is tinted.:D

We have created individual "shields" for the screen cell reagent bottles. We have one reagent rack with holes cut to hold each of the reagent bottles. In this rack we used a card stock weight of paper and cut two rectangles that, when taped into a tube shape, would shield the bottles up to the collars.

We have a second reagent rack that has no holes, just "shelves" to hold the bottles. For this rack we used black craft foam cut into rectangles and taped them into tube shapes to shield the bottles up to their collars.

These very simple devices virtually eliminated all the non-specific "reactivity" that occured toward the end of the shelf life that we had previously seen with Ortho's 0.8% screen cells.

• 5 weeks later...

Just FYI Bill: we were aliquoting our screen cells and it was working pretty well for us until the FDA came in and said we had to stop because we were not following the manufacturer's instructions. So we now have a black box for our screen cell bottles but I don't think it's helping. I think I'm ready to start diluting 3% cells daily!

we use Diamed cells 0.8%

I am interested in how long in days you can use these after "starting "the vials

There is no guidance in the package inserts on this

I am looking to commence auditing this to see how long the vials last before they are exhausted or insufficient to go on analyser

Currently on anaylser all day and then back into fridge and out again etc

Even when insufficient for analyser may still use for ad hoc manual tests as required

Is there a recommended or suggested time period for use of screening cells when opened ?

Get on to supplier -they will generally contact Imelda Bromilow (if you insist) and they will send an 'official' letter with their recommendations. Learned the hard way after inspections, get it written down from the manufacturer. If you decide on your own protocol- you may be asked to show your Validation.

Edited by crummer
wrong thread

I agree with crummer, the supplier should state how long reagents can be left at room temperature or on the analyser. Also considering these other posts regarding light exposure- ask them about that too. If you could feed the response you get back from Diamed on this thread- would be really useful .

Thanks.

Get on to supplier -they will generally contact Imelda Bromilow (if you insist) and they will send an 'official' letter with their recommendations. Learned the hard way after inspections, get it written down from the manufacturer. If you decide on your own protocol- you may be asked to show your Validation.
I agree with crummer, the supplier should state how long reagents can be left at room temperature or on the analyser. Also considering these other posts regarding light exposure- ask them about that too. If you could feed the response you get back from Diamed on this thread- would be really useful .

Thanks.

I would also add that Imelda would be an excellent contact; a lady for whom I have enormous respect. She has years of experience and is both very willing and able to help and to educate; a lovely lady.

:D:D:D:D:D

We keep ours in the box. Kind of a pain to return them to the box after each use but I have to admit that our issues with nonspecific weak reactions (of which we had very many) have been all but eliminated.

Same for us. We only keep them out of fridge 8 hours per 24 hours. Reduced problems, but not cured.

We slip each bottle into a paper nickel coin tube or wrapper. We then cut out just enough to show the cell that we are using (1,2 or 3). This has worked very well for us. We also rotate a set of screeners every 8 hours so that they are not at room temperature all day.