Just For Fun

Brenda K Hutson

Cyclist hospitalized after self transfusion

NewsCore

Updated Feb 9, 2011 9:15 AM ET

MODENA, Italy

An Italian cyclist was being treated in the hospital Wednesday after reportedly giving himself a "stale" blood transfusion.

Riccardo Ricco became ill during a training session Sunday and told doctors in Modena, northern Italy, that he had self-administered a blood transfusion using a three-week-old sample, Italian newspaper La Gazzetta dello Sport reported.

The cyclist's father was quoted in La Gazzetta di Modena as saying his son has suspected kidney failure.

The Vacansoleil-DCM team the 27-year-old rides for issued a statement saying that Ricco would be fired if claims of doping were proven.

"The team is aware of the rumors surrounding Riccardo Ricco, indicating that he admitted to self-administering a blood transfusion," it read.

"But the team does not have sufficient knowledge of relevant facts to make a judgment at this stage. The team has a zero tolerance policy on doping. Any riders and crew who contravene the rules will be fired," the statement added.

The Italian Olympic Committee was investigating the matter.

Ricco was previously banned from the sport for 20 months after testing positive for a blood booster during the 2008 Tour de France.

Dr. Pepper: I guess some things are best left for the pros.

Various thoughts of sterility, refrigeration, anticoagulation, dose and filtration occured to me as well, but maybe not to Riccardo, who seems to have left his kidneys to do the thinking for him.

It sounds like there is a niche for a brisk side business for you BBers on the other side of the pond, though, catering to the bikers' needs.....("Odd, Malcolm, the inventory's off by 2 O Negs this morning....")

It sounds like there is a niche for a brisk side business for you BBers on the other side of the pond, though, catering to the bikers' needs.....("Odd, Malcolm, the inventory's off by 2 O Negs this morning....")

2 O Negs? That is assuming that said biker has read that O Neg is the "universal donor" on that well-known blood transfusion site for all serological experts, Wikipedia!!!!!!!

Mind you, the amount they pay those blokes, providing compatible, sterile, properly stored blood for them (before the expiry date) might just be a little earner on the side!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll have to think about it.

:ohmygod::ohmygod::ohmygod::ohmygod::ohmygod:

It is possible that it was autologous blood (i.e. his own blood) that was collected and then re-infused a couple of weeks later. Cyclists's and long distance runners have been caught doing this in the past. Having been a keen cyclist in the past I have kept an interest in the cycling press.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

SCARY!

Favorite DX = Vomiting loose stool

PUNCTUATION PLEASE :cries:

Had a physician order 4 units FFP; we had no history on this patient and coags were normal. Referred to pathologist - he called the physician on the spot. I heard the pathologist reply "it's contraindicated....yes, I'll take full responsibilty". When he hung up he told me that the physician wanted the patient to receive FFP for nutritional purposes :tongue:

SCARY!

Favorite DX = Vomiting loose stool

Had a physician order 4 units FFP; we had no history on this patient and coags were normal. Referred to pathologist - he called the physician on the spot. I heard the pathologist reply "it's contraindicated....yes, I'll take full responsibilty". When he hung up he told me that the physician wanted the patient to receive FFP for nutritional purposes :tongue:

Yee Gods!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SCARY!

Yeah that is scary! We had a patient die of a TRALI reaction with a perfectly justified FFP transfusion. The FDA was ALL OVER US with a fine tooth comb and a microscope probing every tiny detail from every angle they possibly could. Imagine is something like that happened in this "nutritional" need case?

I have been known to call our reference lab and say, "Hi, this is Miriam in Blood Bank." Well, duh, I am in blood bank, but which blood bank? Fortunately, the staff there know me pretty well, and since my name is fairly uncommon, they always know who I am and just chuckle.

I did that to Red Cross once. "Hi, this is Frances from Blood Bank, can I order a unit of apple platelets?" "Where are you calling from?" "Oh! You don't get calls from any other blood banks in Sydney, do you?"

Yes, we were both laughing. It was 2am.

How about answering the Blood Bank phone after being paged by the central lab to take a call "Hi, this is Jane in the......um(long pause), um(long pause)...How can I help you?":redface::redface:

How sad is it that your brain can get so fried by some ridiculous antibody you've worked on the entire day that you can't even remember which department you work in????:cries::cries:

"Hi, it's Frances from...where the hell am I?"

"I don't know...you called me."

It's always nice for them to turn the tables isn't it? (Usual is "I need product for my patient?" "Which patient?" "err, umm, hang on, I'll just get their details.")

Patients are becoming better educated as time goes on. A problem we have run across is a lack of education for patients by the physician and /or office. Some of this occurs because the office has not been educated. Once the office has been educated I feel they are doing the patient a dis-service if the office fails to educate the patient. Just my opinion and .02 worth.

I think there are universal "requirements" for the patients to choose the worst possible weather to come in for general, non-critical lab work. If it is not the worst snowstorm of the winter, then it is the hottest, most humid day of summer :D.

Patients will be patients though. Had one Friday of last week that was an elderly woman of 88 who fell at about 0200. She waited until 0400 :eek: to call her daughter for help since she knew her daughter gets up at 0345 to get ready for work. Long story made short, she arrived at our facility with a 4.6g hemoglobin. We transfused her 7 units of LRBC's over the weekend and she is feeling a bit better now :rolleyes:. When her daughter asked why she waited to call her the patient indicated she knew her daughter was sleeping and did not want to disturb her! (And she had a low hemoglobin and was a little bit tired!) People never cease to amaze me with their priorities. :D

We had a lady who had an AIHA (and eight alloantibodies). Her Hb would drop fairly regularly, to the tune of about every three months she would reappear in the hospital. At 2 a.m, usually. She wasn't feeling very well, so she would sit up and watch her stories, in case her hospital stay this time went on for too long.

Every three months meant that she would arrive in ED just after the new rotation started, so these poor fresh-faced baby docs would be faced with an antibody list as long as the metaphorical arm (she was very helpful about that with them, bringing in her Ab cards) and ring the lab in a panic.

I did that to Red Cross once. "Hi, this is Frances from Blood Bank, can I order a unit of apple platelets?" "Where are you calling from?" "Oh! You don't get calls from any other blood banks in Sydney, do you?"

Yes, we were both laughing. It was 2am.

I'm forever answering my home phone "Blood Bank, this is James, how may I help you?" This is usually followed by a brief pause and either a giggle or confused "Is this the Williams residence?"

Also,

I always get a little miffed when I get a call from a Physian (or nurse) "This is Dr. So-and-So, is my patients blood ready?". Sure doc, which of the 35 patients whom I currently have blood set up on would be yours????? They always think they are the only ones.:confused::confused:

I always get a little miffed when I get a call from a Physian (or nurse) "This is Dr. So-and-So, is my patients blood ready?". Sure doc, which of the 35 patients whom I currently have blood set up on would be yours????? They always think they are the only ones.:confused::confused:

Tell me about it!

It also happens with some hospitals when the Reference Laboratory is cross-matching a DAT+ patient for them.

:rage::rage::rage::rage::rage:

Also,

Universal blood could make blood grouping redundant

2011-03-10 12:40:00 #wrapper{width:490px;height: auto;padding-top:20px;} #head-con{width:490px;height: auto;float:left;} #head-text{width:400px;height: auto;float:left;} #bottom-text{width:490px;height:10px;float:left;padding-top:5px;padding-bottom:25px;} .arial12-black-b{font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12px;font-weight:bold;color:#000000;text-decoration:none;} #add-text{width:90px;height: auto;float:left;} .arial12-black-bnew{font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12px;font-weight:bold;color:#000000;text-decoration:none;} a.arial12-black-bnew:hover{font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12px;font-weight:bold;color:#000000;text-decoration:underline;} .verdana12-black-n{font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12px;color:#000000;text-decoration:none;} .verdana12-black-n1new{font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12px;color:#000000;text-decoration:none;} a.verdana12-black-n1new:hover{font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12px;color:#000000;text-decoration:underline;} .ver10ash-b {font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size: 10px;font-weight: bold;color: #CCCCCC;text-decoration: none;} Rational tools

Ads by Google

Consulting, Training, Automation ClearCase ClearQuest Build Forge www.releaseteam.com

Toronto, March 10 (IANS) Scientists are developing a universal blood product that would do away with the necessity of matching blood groups before transfusion.

Maryam Tabrizian and colleagues from McGill University in Canada note that blood transfusions require a correct match between a donor and the recipient's blood.

This can be a tricky proposition given that there are 29 different red blood cell types, including the familiar ABO and Rh types, reports the journal Biomacromolecules.

The wrong blood type can provoke serious immune reactions that result in organ failure or death, so scientists have long sought a way to create an all-purpose red blood cell for transfusions that doesn't rely on costly blood typing, according to a McGill release.

To develop this 'universal' red blood cell, the scientists discovered a way to encase living, individual red blood cells within a multilayered polymer shell.

The shell serves as a cloaking device, they found, making the cell invisible to a person's immune system and able to evade detection and rejection.

Oxygen can still penetrate the polymer shell, however, so the red blood cells can carry on their main business of supplying oxygen to the body.

'The results of this study mark an important step toward the production of universal RBCs,' the study states.

Phil: I have a vision of all these little red M&M candies circulating around the recipient, avoiding trickery due to the "29 different red cell types" (an interesting way of looking at the human blood groups). I might have to start spending a little more time in Chemistry and Micro.

I saw this article today as well, and told my coworker that I might have to relearn the Genlab so that I can still have a job. It also brought to mind another article 1-2 years ago about researchers that were able to remove A and B antigens from RC surfaces to make O blood that would work for anyone. I haven't seen anything about that since!

Well, as long as we are mentioning embarrassing things Nurses and Physicians say or do, I may as well own up to my own (though it isn't horrible). Was so busy at work one day and in the middle of a Transfusion Reaction work-up that when the phone rang, I answered "Transfusion Reaction, this is Brenda." To which the OR Surgeon replied, "well, I hope not!"

Oh well, we both laughed...

Brenda Hutson

I'm forever answering my home phone "Blood Bank, this is James, how may I help you?" This is usually followed by a brief pause and either a giggle or confused "Is this the Williams residence?"

Also,

[quote name=Dr. Pepper;35664

The shell serves as a cloaking device' date=' they found, making the cell invisible to a person's immune system and able to evade detection and rejection.

Phil: I have a vision of all these little red M&M candies circulating around the recipient, avoiding trickery due to the "29 different red cell types" (an interesting way of looking at the human blood groups). I might have to start spending a little more time in Chemistry and Micro.

I don't know, I was thinking of a Klingon warbird or a Romulan ship with its cloaking device evading detection to enter Federation space.

What a relief to know that there are only 29 red cell types! Did someone take an antigram and count?

Last Saturday my phone rang and I answered "Good MOrning Lab...um Bood..., Karen...Hello" It was my mom and she asked me what was wrong. I just said it took me a minute to get sttraight which telephone protocol to use.

:confuse::confuse::confuse::confuse::confuse::confuse:

I saw this article today as well, and told my coworker that I might have to relearn the Genlab so that I can still have a job. It also brought to mind another article 1-2 years ago about researchers that were able to remove A and B antigens from RC surfaces to make O blood that would work for anyone. I haven't seen anything about that since!

In amongst a whole load of cr*p in the article quoted by Phil (ask George Garratty - stealth cells don't work, because we make antibodies against against the PEG), this is actually working. Martin Olsson and his team in Sweden are actually on to (at least) phase 2 trials with "manufactured" group O cells.

Please note, I'm never sure how Martin spells his surname - so I may have got the spellingt wrong - again!!!!!!

Edited by Malcolm Needs

[Phil: I have a vision of all these little red M&M candies circulating around the recipient, avoiding trickery due to the "29 different red cell types" (an interesting way of looking at the human blood groups). I might have to start spending a little more time in Chemistry and Micro.

Oh, no.....not Micro.......they keep changing the names of those organisms!!