Just For Fun

Brenda K Hutson

I do know of at least one tragic case involving liquid nitrogen though Mabel.

It was while I was working at Westminster Medical School. A very senior doctor was given an extremely expensive bottle of champagne by a grateful patient. The docotr decided that the champagne should be consummed immediately (before it went off I presume), but it was at room temperature. INstead of putting it in a fridge, or even into a freezer for a short time, the recipient plunged the bottle into some liquid nitrogen and the inevitable happened; the bottle shattered.

Nobody was hurt, but the loss of the champagne was, without doubt, a tragedy, and I have never forgotten to this day (although I do still speak to the doctor involved)!

:cries::cries::cries::cries:

How about this one!! We are in the process of validating new BB computer software. I had just finished writting a test script to validate ISBT. My supervisor asked me why I wrote the test script--because we had already validated ISBT--well yeah- on the current software. I am lost for words at this point!!!!

OK Guys and Gals. I enjoyed these but was refraining from adding my favorite because it really is regional - south, very south. A Microbiology Tech once showed me a request that read Gat Colcha .... She wanted to know what body part that was. I explained to her that the Nurse wrote what she heard - the Doctor called from the other side of the room. 'Nuss, gat a colcha on this.' Two swabs in a sterile tube.

Very funny!!!!!

Brenda

I had a L&D nurse call me for Cord Blood results. I explained that I did not have any results for them because we had not received the specimens. She said she had sent them down and was sure we had them somewhere down here in the lab. I searched and searched with no luck. This same nurse called me back and said ' I just found the specemens under some papers up her at the Nurses station. So, can you just tell me the results, cause the Dr. is standing right here and wants them right now!" I told her we are good but not quite that good!!

At my previous hospital we would sometimes get antibody identifcation panels that were scruffy or weak reacting 1+ with very few cells. Rather than do complex further investigations we sent them out as non-specific. In the lab we called them either: Serological Haemagglutination of Indeterminate Type... or ...Cold Reacting Agglutinating Phenomena.

You do the abbreviations :)

Y'all are giving me side cramps!:rofl:

On more than one occasion I sent a frozen block of plasma to ICU because the MD wanted it infused "RIGHT NOW!!!". Even had a nurse ask for it still frozen once so she could hand it to the MD. :bonk:

Every now and then the nurses can be on our side.

We've always wanted to do this, but haven't been brave enough. We have asked if they want it on a stick!

In my micro days, I was chewed out for not having Blood cultures results completed within an hour.

I had a coworker who had a similar problem with this. The next time he had a Stat culture he made it a point to call the doctor a few minutes later to report to the doc "No growth in 15 minutes!"

We have an Emergency Department physician who at least three times that I was personally involved, authorized me to issue two units of uncrossmatched O-Positive blood. She felt it was alright, since the patients were either male or elderly, so HDN would not be an problem. One of those times, she told her nurses to expect O-Positive blood. The nurses at first refused to accept the O-Negative units I had, until I convinced them otherwise.

Don't know if it was posted elsewhere, but can anyone remember using the wbc & rbc pipettes for filling hemacytometers, & using the small rubber tubes to aspirate the cells? ESR's also come to mind, and I hate to think that we did not use squeeze bulbs!

The squeeze bulb was still better to use than the ol' spit string.

We had a nurse come down once for FFP and then refused to accept the plasma because it was supposed to be FROZEN. The blood bank supervisor sent her back upstairs to talk to the nursing supervisor. A different nurse came down after that and accepted the thawed plasma.

We laughed about that for a while - maybe they wanted a plasma popsicle!

I was working in the outpatient drawing station with another tech. She had a little boy, maybe 5 or 6, that needed a urinalysis. She gave him the cup and sent him to the bathroom, asking him to collect some "potty water." He did! He dipped the cup into the potty and brought her back some water!

Jeanne Wall, M.Ed., MT(ASCP)SBB

Edited by jeanne.wall
didn't complete post before hitting post button -duh!

This could also be entitled, "Don't ignore the blindingly obvious."

As many of you will have noticed, I enjoy posting on this site. Some of you have been extremely kind about some of this postings.

BEWARE! I think you should be told just how dangerous it may be to believe anything I say.

I have just spent several hours working on a sample from one of our hospitals. It was from a lady who is pregnant, known to have an auto-antibody reacting with papain-treated red cells, is group A, R1r, K- and who is pregnant. Indeed, tomorrow she is due to have an LSCS delivery.

The hospital sent it in for me to have a look at because there is now an antibody by IAT, reacting with all screening cells and panel cells.

I did the usual work-up of ABO and D typing, a DiaMed gel enzyme and an IAT panel and a DAT. She was still group A, D+ (so I got something correct!), DAT negative, 5+ pan-agglutinin with papain-treated red cells, but a mixed-field type reaction with all the panel cells by IAT (auto negative).

What antibodies give a characteristic mixed-field reaction thought I; ah, Lutheran?!

So I spent Lord knows how long picking out a whole load of Lu(a-b-) and Lu(a+b-) red cell samples to test against her plasma by DiaMed gel IAT. All but a couple were incompatible! "What has this (missing adjective) lady made now?" I thought.

I could see no pattern, and then it struck me. Those red cells that were compatible were all group A, and those incompatible all group O.

I repeated the panel by pre-warmed, warm-washed LISS tube IAT at 37oC, using a monospecific anti-IgG reagent. All the panel cells were compatible.

So I have spent hours working out the blindingly obvious; the lady has an auto-anti-HI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Argh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:imslow::imslow::imslow::imslow::imslow:

This could also be entitled, "Don't ignore the blindingly obvious."

I repeated the panel by pre-warmed, warm-washed LISS tube IAT at 37oC, using a monospecific anti-IgG reagent. All the panel cells were compatible.

So I have spent hours working out the blindingly obvious; the lady has an auto-anti-HI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Argh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:imslow::imslow::imslow::imslow::imslow:

I'll bet all of us have been bitten on the posterior by anti-H. I tell my techs that cold reactive antibodies were put on earth to keep us blood bankers humble. Just when you think you've got them all figured out, one of them will sneak up and get you! :cries::mad: :eek: