The golden rules of Immunohaematology.....

The word 'dangerous' however, does have a better impact. It's a bit like when I have new staff in the lab and give them a brief overview of what we do, and add that this is the one department where they could be directly or indirectly responsible for killing a patient if they don't follow the rules.

Grippy. Thanks for stimulating this post.

As you can see, some experienced people in labs do not like to diminish the very serious message we want to instill in all staff.

You can kill a patient!

You WILL kill a patient if you are not careful.

Saying someone is fallible is almost like saying "it is OK to make a mistake, we all make mistakes and it is OK, we are only human after all". In my opinion, this is not the correct message to send. We want people to fully understand the implications of a simple error and be so concerned that they are very very very careful.

So, I maintain that "you are the most dangerous thing in the lab and do everything you can not to make mistakes" is still the right message. Is is not warm and fuzzy and not comforting but I have friends who have made lab errors that have resulted in fatalities (I am unaware of any I have made but I recognise the possibility) and they agree with the message.

Grippy. Thanks for stimulating this post.

Saying someone is fallible is almost like saying "it is OK to make a mistake, we all make mistakes and it is OK, we are only human after all". In my opinion, this is not the correct message to send. We want people to fully understand the implications of a simple error and be so concerned that they are very very very careful.

So, I maintain that "you are the most dangerous thing in the lab and do everything you can not to make mistakes" is still the right message. Is is not warm and fuzzy and not comforting but I have friends who have made lab errors that have resulted in fatalities (I am unaware of any I have made but I recognise the possibility) and they agree with the message.

Almost. Saying someone is dangerous is almost like saying they are going to do harm. Fallible means

they might make a mistake. Impress the possibility but don't scare them.

I am against warm and fuzzy and don't like the implication. If I was warm and fuzzy I would have not posted a contradictory opinion.....just nodded my head.

"As you can see, some experienced people in labs do not like to diminish....."

I am sure the inexperienced do not diminish the seriousness of BB either.

But you know what? At the lab tomorrow I will ask around and see what the techs say. I'd like to know and need more data. You could be right. I could be wrong.

Have fun in the Sri Lanka. It must be quite a place!!

Hi Grippy,

Let me know what your collegues think.

I would seriously like to actually print the "Golden Rules" as a poster and make it available to BBTalk people. The rules should be as good as they can be and get the right message out.

Been to Sri Lanka and am now back. It was my 4th trip there. Great place with excellent, kind and attentive people who are very keen to improve. Now If I can just get some time to get out of the capital and see some of the country!

On the theory of "Better late than never" ...

I always tell my staff that the antibodies don't read the textbooks. People will often fail to consider possibilities when the reactions don't quite fit what they were taught in school.

Just to put in my two cents worth on the "dangerous" issue...I don't have a problem with the wording, particularly in this setting of somewhat tongue-in-cheek. When I was training my children to drive, I told them that a motor vehicle is a deadly weapon. I also told them not to drink and drive...no, really, not even water! My son had an accident shortly after he got his license because he ignored the latter advice, dropped his water bottle on the floor in a stop and go situation, and reached down to get it while his car was rolling.

Yes humans are the best thing in the lab and the thing that makes it run well. They are still the most dangerous thing in the lab. Sort of like fire or water...great when used properly, deadly when out of control.

Hi Grippy,

Let me know what your collegues think.

I would seriously like to actually print the "Golden Rules" as a poster and make it available to BBTalk people. The rules should be as good as they can be and get the right message out.

Been to Sri Lanka and am now back. It was my 4th trip there. Great place with excellent, kind and attentive people who are very keen to improve. Now If I can just get some time to get out of the capital and see some of the country!

I had opportunity today to ask 3 techs. The BB sup understood your point but said no it wasn't appropriate.

I asked one tech and they said without hesitation they would post it and another said no way. There was one more tech on but I didn't have a chance to ask. I will keep polling and posting.

I think it important to state how I asked as I didn't want to prejudice my audience. It was a straight forward

Would you post in BB that... The most dangerous thing in any lab are the humans.

I also told them to pretend it wasn't me asking.

Hi Grippy,

Can I ask you to poll the people by showing them the entire Golden Rule list. The rules are meant to be tongue-in-cheek and amusing but with a serious message. I am sure that you will elicit a different response if the single statement is taken out of context.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hi All,

I have put the Golden Rules of Immunohaematology in a poster (thanks Lisy). I reordered them a little to be in a more logical order but they are as seen earlier in this post.

The is an A3 and an A4 version.

I hope they are useful.

Tim

THANKS TIM...will post it in the lab for you to see the nexy time you visit

• 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

when I read this it reminds me of the things my teacher told me before.... "Working in transfusion area means putting one of your feet in the grave and put the other in the jail.... so it means, that you have to be very careful to make sure you stay in balance...." ^_^'