Just preparing to go live with ISBT

Hello,

Our blood supplier got a variance from AABB to delay going to ISBT 128 becasue of a software vendor issue. They actually replaced their entire IS system and will go with ISBT before the Nov.1 deadline. My question is , how difficult is it to transition? Our medical director decided that we will not be using the make components routine and will no be aliqouting, we really don't have a need for that beyond a 5 day plasma, which we will no longer offer. Ours is mostly a geriatric population and we don't even have a NICU.

So, tell me the horror stories, so I can avoid them if I can!:confused:

:confused: If you are contemplating the need to print ISBT128 labels in an on-demand fashion please consider Hema Trax as a solution...either PC Stand-Alone or our TCP/IP service that is interfaced with either Magic or Client Server; supported by Meditech. You can visit our web site: www.digi-trax.com, call 800-356-6126 or email info@digi-trax.com to get information,samples or demo etc.

Lara,

It is not a difficult transition, you can get labels from your blood supplier to validate your computer system. We don't split units either, it only happens a couple of times a year and it wasn't worth messing with.

The nurses hate the long numbers but the BBers get used to them pretty quickly. If your computer system doesn't generate labels, as in during an FFP thaw or cryo pool, you can get product labels from one of the commerical vendors.

I'd be happy to share more info with you: Mary_Mendel@ssmhc.com

Since you will not be aliquoting or making components, the transition will be a breeze. We do both here and the transition was easy. Our division (HCANT) scripted all the products into the blood bank dictionaries, all we the site users had to do was to activate what we needed and not activate what we felt we would not need. We tested the ISBT system for about 6 months prior to going live, so it was a seemless transition, one day were using Codabar and the next we were using ISBT. The biggest hurdle is the training of the nursing staff on what they could expect to see happen once we went live. Training of the laboratory and other blood bank personnel was really a easy, since we are used to change.

For nursing, I created a flyer with a picture of a label, important areas circled in red, and text boxes to discuss more fully (EXAMPLE: write the entire number in your record). We handed those out with each component issued for the first month or so. That way we probably got most of the part-timers and agency nurses who don't always get to training sessions.

If you are not using a computer system it is a breeze. However, if you are using a BB computer system; you need to build the ISBT products that you receive from your supplier in your system. Which means testing and validating of all products received, modified and issued.

:handshakeOur blood center designed a visual "crosswalk" comparing the two systems and a quiz to take for competency. Maybe yours can do the same. The nurses loved it and used it in their education sessions. The transition went off without a hitch. Good luck.

:handshakeOur blood center designed a visual "crosswalk" comparing the two systems and a quiz to take for competency. Maybe yours can do the same. The nurses loved it and used it in their education sessions. The transition went off without a hitch. Good luck.

Hi Mary,

Our Blood Bank is in the process of converting into an ISBT 128 compliant BB, even if our Vendor/Provider (Red Cross) will not be compliant until 2011. I was quite impressed by what you said about your Blood Center designing a visual "crosswalk". You said the Nurses "loved it", and that is a big deal because they can be so difficult to deal with at times. Is there a possibility that you can share the visual "crosswalk" you designed with our BB? If there is a fee involved, I would be most glad to do so. Thanks, Rose