5s training

RR1

We did need to make a few changes last year rather quickly pre-MHRA inspection, but that was only to save us! I have now confessed all on a change control document ready for my next inspection.

Anyway, my staff don't make things easy for me, they are very stubborn unless they understand why we are changing things, and would refuse to action my requests unless we were all in agreement (mostly!). Makes my life more difficult (hell!), but it is really the way things should be.

Hoping they will read this post and feel really guilty ( after all -I do ), and comply with all my suggestions in future- this is wishful thinking!

You're such a wind-up Malcolm.....I'll get my revenge!

Edited by RR1

We did need to make a few changes last year rather quickly pre-MHRA inspection, but that was only to save us! I have now confessed all on a change control document ready for my next inspection.

Anyway, my staff don't make things easy for me, they are very stubborn unless they understand why we are changing things, and would refuse to action my requests unless we were all in agreement (mostly!). Makes my life more difficult (hell!), but it is really the way things should be.

Hoping they will read this post and feel really guilty ( after all -I do ), and comply with all my suggestions in future- this is wishful thinking!

You're such a wind-up Malcolm.....I'll get my revenge!

See what I mean! "and comply with all my suggestions"!

Learn from the master. Follow my managerial strategy! Sack anyone who doesn't say, "How high?" when I say jump!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D:D:D:D

Have I opened a Pandora's Box between you two? =S

Anyway, Rashmi, the reason it didn't work as it should be in my lab is because of the last point in my previous post:

I also see that there are changes, which in name is to improve workflow, but actually changed things without making the workflow better. So please take note of this...

When this happens, it will be an uphill task in trying to get fellow colleagues to comply with the sustainability protocols. If the change is really good, then the result itself is the motivation for colleagues to sustain it. Not only in 5S, but also in technical workflow...

Malcom: I am the sort who will ask "How high" when you shout "jump!". But I got the backlash instead. That is the main reason why I requested for a transfer to another section doing haematology work... =(

Hey eric1980, we are only joshing (or, at least, I am)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't speak for Rashmi, of course (wouldn't dare).

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

It's always like this with Malcolm, you should read some of his emails- they're even worse, but I get a really good laugh !

Lets get back to 5S, Malcolm- when did you last tidy up your office, and have you sorted,systemised , standardised and cleaned this too???

Does it have a desk and chair as well or is the floor the only thing visible at this point? I once had a college roommate who solved the clutter problem by throwing everything on the bed in the morning when she got up and throwing it back on the floor in the evening when she went to bed!

:rolleyes:

Does it have a desk and chair as well or is the floor the only thing visible at this point? I once had a college roommate who solved the clutter problem by throwing everything on the bed in the morning when she got up and throwing it back on the floor in the evening when she went to bed!

:rolleyes:

It has a chair, and I think if I really work hard at this tidying business, I might find a desk in a day or two!

:D:D

Hi everyone,

5 members of my lab staff have been trained in Lean principles and are gradually working thorugh the departments with the 5s's. We are making good progress, but the key is cultural change in the department. We are finding it easier to work with the younger staff, although us 'oldies' are getting used to the idea. In the end we are all aiming for higher quality service to our patients.

Thanks brockies155, so the challenge is definitely going to be the cultural change to sustain any improvements. I have been browsing various internet sites on 5S and the critical point about these techniques is that it results in improved safety.

If we work in tidy, organised and clean areas, it's much easier to identify potential problems.

These techniques can also be applied to documentation, it is not just for maintaining housekeeping in labs.

Edited by RR1

• 7 months later...
You won't believe this, but the day before yesterday actually!

Two trash lorries are taking away the detritous as I write.

It turns out that my office has a floor.

:P:p:p

It's being a little harsh on yourself Malcolm , I think most of what you write is quite good.

It's been a few months. ; )
No eric1980, that's quite a quick reaction for Rashmi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D:D:D:D:D

Thanks guys!!.....one has to consider these things sometimes you know eric.....nice to hear from you again, got anymore tips on 5S?

Malcolm, really, it was restraint on my part that's why it took 8mths to post.

Anyway, to update, there seems to be a lack of commitment with general tidying/ cleaning by lab staff, and the worst part is that folk seem to think that this is purely the role of MLA staff and not the qualified ones too. Do BMS staff feel that these basic lab functions are not their responsibility, or are they above performing these tasks?

We need to put some pride back into our labs and our roles. Our labs should be spotless at all times, it's not acceptable to expect someone else to do this. Wait until the regulators (MHRA/CQC) begin to look properly at the general hygiene in departments- should be interesting.

Thanks guys!!.....one has to consider these things sometimes you know eric.....nice to hear from you again, got anymore tips on 5S?

Malcolm, really, it was restraint on my part that's why it took 8mths to post.

Anyway, to update, there seems to be a lack of commitment with general tidying/ cleaning by lab staff, and the worst part is that folk seem to think that this is purely the role of MLA staff and not the qualified ones too. Do BMS staff feel that these basic lab functions are not their responsibility, or are they above performing these tasks?

We need to put some pride back into our labs and our roles. Our labs should be spotless at all times, it's not acceptable to expect someone else to do this. Wait until the regulators (MHRA/CQC) begin to look properly at the general hygiene in departments- should be interesting.

Much as it grieves me to say so, I agree with what you say Rashmi (well, not about the time to consider - I still think 8 months was pretty quick for you :rolleyes::rolleyes:).

The way I see it, the further up the ladder you go, the more responsibility you take in the Laboratory, and this is reflected in your job description, but this job description does not in any way absolve you from doing the more "mundane" jobs within the Laboratory that were in your previous job description. If, for example, you are the lead in your Laboratory, and a freezer needs defrosting, if you are the only person who is free at the time, then you defrost the freezer; you don't wait until a more junior staff member is free. The same applies to general cleanliness and tidiness in the Laboratory. It is everyone's responsibility.

:(:(:(:(:(

Hi tonz, my place is not fully 5S but we began by clearing old files, equipment etc. Standardised folders for equipment management, training, SOPs- so they were all in visual colour groups. We have schedules and checklists for maintenance, cleaning, calibration, training etc.

None of this is rocket science- just basic common sense and very easy to do, with a bit of teamwork and lean-thinking.

Hope the ppt is useful- some feedback on improving it would be good.

many thanks.

Rashmi, although I'm now in haematology, 5S(or 6S as we call it in Singapore), covers the entire hospital.

Due to our workload, 6S has originally been going as fast as a snail mail. So my lab had to roster a couple of staff off-bench so that we could get the 6S going. So while they can clock work hours, they actually are in the lab solely to do 6S. As the 6S crack troops had an idea beforehand, we started work immediately, and things moved like email. ; )

Now, most of the drawers are neat (Keyword: partition), and benchtops are clutter-free (Keyword: item space allocation), the folders on the shelves looked like they are for sale in bookshops (same colour group or colour code), etc.

How long it will last - I have no idea, and I wouldn't bet on it. Although we have assigned one or two staff to maintain it, we (the 6S core group) aren't really sure...

I downloaded a free booklet on 5S from a US company that sells supplies for implementation, to get the basics. It looks like it would be a great help in lab management, but this version is geared towards plant operations. While I can make adjustments to apply to the lab, it may be difficult to sell to my colleagues, and will be particularly difficult to pitch to non-technical administrators. ('So why should we spend time, effort, or money on something that works in a Toyota plant but hasn't been used in a lab??")

Can you direct me to a good reference for 5S in the laboratory?

AABB has some references to 6 sigma and LEAN principles. Go to there bookstore and look at Standards and Quality \ Quality Systems. There is a book on 6 sigma for blood bank there. There is also an article from February of this year under their News and Media section. I will try to attach a link to it. These are just a few of the resources available. Our facility is gearing up for these processes although not formally yet. Pursuing Iso 9001 quality measures will provide us with an opportunity to examine our processes critically and in detail. The quality assurance committee (yes I am allowed to be a part of that too) in the lab is responsible for implementation of such changes and encouraging "buy-in" to the mind-set. It does take a bit of time and patience to get people on board. Results are the best "seller" of any changes made.

http://www.aabb.org/Content/News_and_Media/Latest_News/news1002b.htm