Lenght of Transfusion

lgabbert

I would like to know if there is a time limit for length of transfusions. I have a transfusion checklist that shows a single transfusion took 8 hours!! I cannot find anything that states what is too long. Just recommendations that blood should be infused in 2-4 hours. I would appreciate feedback. Thanks.

Take a look at the prescribing information or package insert for blood products, AKA The Circular of Information for the Use of Human Blood and Blood Components. Page 4, #12. "Transfusion should be completed within 4 hours and prior to component expiration." You could also potentially further apply #9 which includes ..."the component expires 4 hours after entry if maintained at room temperature...".

I have always been taught to abide be the strictest requirements, as long as it is from a reliable source. That being said, according to the most recent Technical Manual 16 Ed. Page 617 under Delay in Starting Transfusion, it states that the unit must be infused within 4hrs of the time that it was issued from the transfusion service, or it must be discarded. We are dealing with this problem currently. We have asked the the order be written to transfuse the unit no greater than 3hrs to allow them time to pick-up the unit, perform all of the necessary checks and get it started. Mabel is correct in that the Admin Set cannot be used for >4hrs.