"Fake" Samples

lef5501

Does anyone have good ideas for making up some fake samples for my students? I have already done weak D, positive fetal bleeds, multiple antibodies, etc. We have been really slow on real samples, I'm running out of "fake" ones to give them. Any ideas on how to make up a sample with a warm auto?

Thanks for any ideas.

How about a little of your expired anti e in some e positive patient cells?

That works but you have to be REALLLY careful about how much you add, how long you incubate (especially with the monoclonal anitbodies).....you'll get such a strong DAT your blood group will be invalid and most of the antibody is on the cells so your antibody panel doesn't always fit!

I keep the cells and plasma separate - that way you can add just a 'smidge' for the DAT and more to the plasma for the ABID.

My students really like when we are doing transfusion reactions - I'll give them a couple scenarios....

1. The 'wrong' patient collected for pre-transfusion testing (APos) then the post is mixed field OPos - really hits home if they do collections too!

2. Anamenestic antibody - negative screen initially then the post has a high incidence antibody. Some group O patient plasma you won't need anymore + pick group O unit (or old panel/screen cells if you have enough) phenotyped cells then you can just add some Coombs Control Cells to make up the positive DAT. Add your antibody and some positive 'unit' cells to the post "sample". Really good to ensure they know they can't phenotype that post transfusion sample when they figure out what antibody the patient produced (or if the DAT interferes with the phenotyping!!).

Mom/Dad/Baby scenarios are good too.....have them phenotype all three - can that be the dad? Mom can have multiple antibodies but only one is on the baby's cells - do IAT testing to see what is free in the 'cord' plasma or an eluate. I often pick a real ABO incompatiblity because they are the most frequent and you don't have to worry about over-doing it with the antibody added.

I ramble.......