BB Exam

jcarroll

Hi there-

I just took the BB Exam in July (I've been a tech for a lot of years, but spent the prior 6 years as a stay-at-home mom, so I didn't qualify to sit for the SBB). I read through the Technical Manual twice. (By read through, I mean I read it cover to cover). I, too, didn't know anyone who had taken it recently, so I had to figure what to do for myself. I figured between the studying I did, and my experience in Blood Banking, I would do okay. Have to tell you, I wasn't too sure how I was doing- the ASCP has a way of wording questions that can be confusing. Passed it the first time, though....

HTH-

Laurie

Thanks, that does help, did they focus more on certain areas rather than others. I am have been a tech for 3 years with a degree in biology, not Med Tech, and hoping to pass it the first time. Thanks.

Justin

Justin-

It was fairly comprehensive. There were quite a few questions with regard to more uncommon systems, Cost, Rogers, etc. Most of the ones I realized I missed, I was able to find the answers straight out of the Technical Manual. I think if you really study the latest version, you should be good to go. Remember that the questions get progressively harder, the more you answer correctly, so it kinda adjusts as you go along. When are you taking it? (I really didn't spend all that much time preparing- maybe like a month or so)

Read the questions carefully . . . sometimes the wording is obscure and makes you want to jump at an obvious answer which is incorrect. As an example, when dealing with compatible units when a patient has an antibody, make certain they are also not asking about ABO compatiblity too, like if your patient is an A remember, they can get O blood also (and Rh+ can get Rh= and viceversa) . . . tricksy stuff (as Gollum would say) . . .

I took the BB exam about 8 or 9 years ago and and used the ASCP BOR question book, the BB part. I also read the technical manual and the standards, I was weak on anything related to donors since I had always worked in a hospital BB.

David is right, the questions can be tricky and it seemed like on every question I was able to narrow it down to 2 choices. Good luck and on the slight chance that you don't pass the first time take it again right away so things still stay fresh in your mind.

• 3 weeks later...

If you have not taken a blood bank course in school, I recommend you purchase Denise Harmening's Immunhematology text book called Modern blood bank and transfusion practices from F.A.Davis publishers, in addition to reviewing the AABB technical manual. The technical manual alone is not a good resource if you have never had a blood bank course before since it doesn't go into basic knowledge.

I agree with profbaud, Technical Manual is not a good book for beginner. Beside Modern Blood Banking by D Harmening, Immunohematology: Principles and Practice by Eva Quinley is also a very good book for blood bankers.

CK Cheng, MSc, SBB(ASCP), CQA(ASQ)

Hong Kong

May 9, 2009

I agree. The BB can throw some curveballs. I self studied for a little over a year for it. There is a suggested reading list from ASCP. When I took it, geeze, 5?years ago there was alot of pedigree genetic questions & Rhogam qualification questions.

Just a tip on testing...you will get one dry erase board. When you get in, write down all the formulas,etc (that you might forget while under pressure) early so when you need them you have it.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is incredible.

We have no post-graduate accreditation or exams (although I'd like them) in Australia - it all relies on refresher training by each individual laboratory and the QAP from the Royal College of Pathologists Australasia - and not everyone gets to it, believe me (especially not in a 24/7 lab with a dedicated, multiskilled night staff). Before anybody asks, blood bank is one of the better departments for skill assessment - we have to handle a QAP-like situation.

When I say multiskilled, I mean we are required to work in either blood bank, haematology or chemistry with some specimen reception work (depending on the shift).

• 1 month later...

hi jcarroll. I just took the BB exam last yr.Now, actually , 1 wk from now, i will be taking the SBB exam. Abt the BB exam, to be honest w/ you, I wasn't expecting that i would pass that exam. It's a miracle, to be honest w/ u. I studied for it.But some of the questions during my exam were so tough. I am actually nervous for this upcoming exam, considering the experience i just had on taking the BB exam. There's so much stuff to study and where do we stop?My brain would sometimes give up on me bec it could only take /retain much information. I wish i have a photographic memory.anyway though.Good luck!

i am studying for my SBB exam too. one wk from now, i will be taking it. I am completely nervous , to tell u the truth. I have one chapter in the tech manual which i haven't read/studied yet i.e Disaster mngt. But i did study the Tech manual cover to cover as well as the standards. i also used Marion reid ie Ag fact books and sometimes Mollison. It's a lot of studying to do and yet i dont feel i am ready for it or i would be able to pass the exam. whenver I challenge myself by asnweringSBB questions from the books, often, i would get half of the questions right. That's terrifying and not convincing. I am bad in computation too, so ......I don't if i will pass this exam really =0(

The SBB exam covers more than the material in the Technical manual and the standards. It includes some Coagulation [disorders, how to distinguish platelet disorders from factor disorders], FDA regulations, Management math problems, regulations for deferring a donor, HLA testing, and lots more. Many moons ago, techs with alot of experience in blood banking could take the exam and pass but the pass rate for them now is less than 50%! If you want to be an SBB, the best thing to do is enroll in an online SBB program like the one at Rush University [i went thru their program and i know teach parttime] and even though I have 30 years experience in Blood Banking, I know I couldn't have passed the exam with out taking this program.

Good luck. If you don't pass email me about Rush's program. There are 4 other online programs in US too. The pass rate for taking a program is 95%.

Hi filam, I saw you also post a comment under another SBB heading. Seems you are really afraid of not passing in the first time. Remember, no one will gaurantee you 100% pass even if you take an SBB program . Have you joined any regular or review type SBB program? Since you have only 1week's time before your exam, do not give yourself too much pressure cuz it will affect your performance. Jot down as many questions as you can right after your exam, it helps IN CASE, I said in case you fail in the first time. Take it easy!

Chun-kwok Cheng, MSc, SBB(ASCP), CQA(ASQ)

Oct 10, 2009

thank you so much to all who are giving me support. It is profoundly appreciated. I actually attended the traditional SBB program. But i felt it wasn't enough. I did a lot of studying still.I want to be positive in this....you know, that i will pass the exam.But....we'll see. I will keep u guys posted a week from now.The exam , i know, can be tough. But just as the old saying goes...."do your best, and the GUY up there will do the rest".Again, thank you so much to all. The response is so heartwarming.

flam -

At this point, just do your best. You can't do better than that. The one thing I have suggested to others is to relax the day before and don't study. (My theory is if you haven't learned it by now, you probably aren't going to learn it the day before the exam!)

Good luck! (And if you happen to end up in the 40% who were not fortunate enough to pass, you study more and take it again. And, if necessary, you take it again.....)

Donna

Thank you so so much. Glad i found this site. Indeed, we are all blood bankers by heart and soul. We understand the pressure of this certification and the true meaning of it as well.We know how a blood banker feels and thinks and we know how to symphatize w/ this person....To all blood bankers....Thank you so much. You guys are heaven sent =0). I will try my best to be positive for the remaining days i have.